Looking for suggestions on a Caribbean location for Sep 9-11th.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

znismo1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
[h=2][/h]
Hello,

I am new to the board and if I am in the wrong section I apologize.

I am looking to plan a dive vacation in the Caribbean for Sep 4th - 11th. I am open to the location just looking for personal opinions on best locations to dive with the following:

Great Hammer head sharks or Whale sharks?

I am having a hard time finding accurate or up to date information on migratory areas in which either of these sharks will most likely be in during the month of September.

Thank you for your help and consideration.

Justin
Florida​

There's a higher probability of seeing Whale Sharks off Utila in September than most other months other than the peak period in the spring. I don't know why but have seen it mentioned more than once. Snorkel only though by law. All 8 that we saw a couple years ago in March were too far off the north side in deep water to be on Scuba.

The only place in the Caribbean where it's legal to dive with Whale Sharks is Belize and that runs typically Mar-June - they're attracted by the Cubera Snapper Spawn at Gladden Spit. I believe that's ended for this year but check with Splash Dive to be certain.

Thank you for the info.... I will look into that.

There's a higher probability of seeing Whale Sharks off Utila in September than most other months other than the peak period in the spring. I don't know why but have seen it mentioned more than once. Snorkel only though by law. All 8 that we saw a couple years ago in March were too far off the north side in deep water to be on Scuba.

The only place in the Caribbean where it's legal to dive with Whale Sharks is Belize and that runs typically Mar-June - they're attracted by the Cubera Snapper Spawn at Gladden Spit. I believe that's ended for this year but check with Splash Dive to be certain.

Back
Top Bottom