Going to Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abies

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So it looks like I'm going to Cuba this fall ( the price is right) but I know very little about Cuba and am just starting my research. I can fly direct to Varadero, so that is my preference but can also fly to Cayo Coco. My wife and I have about 100 dives in a pretty good range of conditions so we happy or to comfortably dive anything, but like macro photo stuff and aren't big drift divers. We like diving with a guide to find the most interesting things but not have our hands held (our favorite dive op so far is Mike Severns). Now that you have the background tell me everything, which hotel/resort, where to dive, who to dive with, and what to do when I'm not diving.

Thanks for all the help

Ben

Wish we Americans could go there freely like Canadians and much of the rest of the world. I was invited to dive there once but had a scheduling conflict. I've heard diving there in some areas is pretty impressive.

Everything? Sorry, I've not been there, but while you have excellent protection against Carbon Monoxide tainted tanks at home, there is next to none there. Don't book until you have a reliable CO tank tester, then - have a great trip. :pilot:

greetings, I'm planning on going to Cayo Coco leaving Sept. 27 or there abouts. I have dove, Manzinillo and Hoguin first trip to Cayo Coco. I will be travelling solo. Cannot help about dive operators only that in Manzinillo I was the only diver most days and we still went, small open boat great service DM dove every dive with me.

Have dove in Holguin a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Small boats and good DM's They will not hold your hand if you are a competent diver. There can be current.
We stayed at the Sol Cayo Coco in the suites- not the hotel. It was nice, people are friendly and the food was great.
There is a dive shop at the hotel, but they take you over to Blue Divers which is at the Melia Cayo Coco (i think) at least when we were there. You don't have much choice of dive operators in Cuba, but in my experience they are all similar.
From what I hear Varadero has poor diving. Cienfuegos has good diving. Not so easy to get a direct flight. Cubana goes there non stop from YYZ.
Been a few years since I have been in Cuba so I might be out of date.
Hope that helps
t

Everything? Sorry, I've not been there, but while you have excellent protection against Carbon Monoxide tainted tanks at home, there is next to none there. Don't book until you have a reliable CO tank tester, then - have a great trip. :pilot:

I second this suggestion. I currently have a CO case and it's got me freaked out. I am cuban myself, so no disrespect meant against the cuban people, but I would take one if I was going there.

We are going a a people-to-people tour in April. This is not a DIVE trip, but I would not turn down a morning of diving. Our trip operator says it is not possible. Any USA visitors have comments on this?

All Americans can now travel legally to
Cuba -- with some limitations.The longstanding ban on Cuba travel has been amended to allow all Americans to take part in tours to Cuba that encourage “people to people” contact. Previously, only religious, educational, and cultural groups could legally travel to Cuba, and then only with specific permission from the U.S. State Department.
The bad news is that Americans still can't simply book a flight and a hotel and head to Cuba. You'll need to travel with a Cuba travel organization that has an official license from the U.S. State Department, like Insight Cuba and Central Holidays.
And, while your tour may include stops at museums, historic sites, or even the Bay of Pigsor a local Communist Party block meeting, purely recreational activities -- like visiting the beach or scuba diving -- are prohibited from tour itineraries, which are limited to experiences that brings American and Cuban people together.
Schedules are typically packed with activities in order to comply with the State Department’s mandate and federal law, so it remains to be seen whether in practice travelers are able to slip away in their limited free time to take a dip in the Caribbean or sample the local mojitos.

Many Americans do travel illegally to Cuba. The Cuban government welcomes Americans to visit with a passport, and Cuban customs and immigration officials know not to stamp the passports of Americans entering the country. The most common way that Americans circumvent the Cuba travel ban is to fly to a third country that has regularly scheduled flights to Cuba, such as Canada, Mexico (Cancun is nearby and a popular Cuba gateway), or the Bahamas (Nassau). You can get a Cuban tourist card at airports in these countries, good for up to 30 days visiting Cuba.

---------- Post added November 20th, 2014 at 06:28 PM ----------

All Americans can now travel legally to
Cuba -- with some limitations.The longstanding ban on Cuba travel has been amended to allow all Americans to take part in tours to Cuba that encourage “people to people” contact. Previously, only religious, educational, and cultural groups could legally travel to Cuba, and then only with specific permission from the U.S. State Department.
The bad news is that Americans still can't simply book a flight and a hotel and head to Cuba. You'll need to travel with a Cuba travel organization that has an official license from the U.S. State Department, like Insight Cuba and Central Holidays.
And, while your tour may include stops at museums, historic sites, or even the Bay of Pigsor a local Communist Party block meeting, purely recreational activities -- like visiting the beach or scuba diving -- are prohibited from tour itineraries, which are limited to experiences that brings American and Cuban people together.
Schedules are typically packed with activities in order to comply with the State Department’s mandate and federal law, so it remains to be seen whether in practice travelers are able to slip away in their limited free time to take a dip in the Caribbean or sample the local mojitos.

Many Americans do travel illegally to Cuba. The Cuban government welcomes Americans to visit with a passport, and Cuban customs and immigration officials know not to stamp the passports of Americans entering the country. The most common way that Americans circumvent the Cuba travel ban is to fly to a third country that has regularly scheduled flights to Cuba, such as Canada, Mexico (Cancun is nearby and a popular Cuba gateway), or the Bahamas (Nassau). You can get a Cuban tourist card at airports in these countries, good for up to 30 days visiting Cuba.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom