Grand Turk vs Provo (on fast boats to W. Caicos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefsong

Reaction score
Anyone out there with a strong opinion about whether the diving off West Caicos is so superior to Grand Turk that it merits a daily 90 minute roundtrip boat ride and a stay in Provo instead of the easy access wall off Grand Turk? My husband and I are leaning toward Grand Turk for its laidback ease of access, but are willing to take the long trips to West Caicos if they are truly all that superior to Grand Turk. We're going to dive and relax, so Provo doesn't hold any special draw for us in terms of shopping or restaurants.
Also, we're going to chance hurricane season, and barring a storm, does anyone know about viz and water temps that time of year in the Caicos?

I was in Provo in February. Don't know about Grand Turk. If you do go to Provo, I highly recomend Caicos Adventures. Top notch dive operation and they only take you to the best sites.

I was in Provo last November and I had the chance to get over to W. Caicos (only to snorkel though). The diving in Provo (I did mine through Club Med) was excellent. The vis was about 100' and the temp around 82-83 degrees. I just used shorts, no t-shirt and I was very comfortable on 50 minute dives where we around 110' at the deepest point. (Don't worry, it was a no-deco dive) :wink:

Anyway, when we went to W. Caicos, we had a friend who lived on the island and was a helicopter pilot. We toured all around W. Caicos and the water was crystal clear. I saw 2 big schools of mantas from the air. While in the water, I saw lots of different little critters.

Be prepared if you are there on your own... cost of living is outrageously expensive. Gas is about $5 a gallon although you don't have far to drive. As for Grand Turk, I have not been there so I can not offer a comparison.

BTW, the picture on my profile is from TCI...

It depends on what you want out of your vacation. Both destinations offer world class diving. Provo also has more things to do, better restaurants, and better resorts. Grand Turk has much shorter boat rides and an atomosphere which is more conducive to "getting away from it all."

Funny that this question was asked
because I trying to figure out an answer to the same
question. I have already book the Provo air leg.

Tim
I have read many of your post with regard to the Caicos.
My main questions are
1) which is better for macro?
2) if you had to pick one or the other to go based on the
quality of diving, which one would you return to?
3) Did you think Grand Turk diving gets boring over a 17 dive week? That is, is every dive similar?
darren

In terms of diving, I'd go with GT. Much shorter boat rides with surface intervals on shore; smaller, more relaxed groups; since the heavy development on Provo & active construction on West Caicos the viz is generally superior; better macro life.

Diving off West Caicos & French Cay does tend to offer better opportunities for sharks, rays and turtles if this is important.

You can search the archives for my very extensive trip report on GT if you are so inclined.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I agree with Tim and Doc. Last November we did a week on T&C Explorer (liveaboard) followed by a week on Grand Turk (land-based). The diving off West Caicos is very similar to that off Grand Turk, where the wall is right there. GT is a very laid-back place with little to do besides dive and relax. Provo is more lively but the long commute to West Caicos or French would be a hassle.

ddawson:
Tim
I have read many of your post with regard to the Caicos.
My main questions are
1) which is better for macro?
2) if you had to pick one or the other to go based on the
quality of diving, which one would you return to?
3) Did you think Grand Turk diving gets boring over a 17 dive week? That is, is every dive similar?
darren

I loved them both. We didn't see much big stuff off GT and I really like the big stuff so for me, given the choice, I would go back to Porvo and put up with the long boat rides. Thats me you might be different. I would be bored with GT over a 17 dive week but I also get tired of the long boat rides on Provo over the week. GT is cheaper. Provo has more to do, etc.
Sorry mate. . .toss a coin and you can't go wrong.

I think GT and W Caicos diving is similar enough I'd chose based on where you want to stay and the associated boat rides (or lack thereof.) I thought some of the best was Salt Cay and South Caicos, I don't know if you will have an opportunity to do that from GT but it might be worth it. We dove Eagle's Nest at South Caicos a bunch of times, parade of sharks and eagle rays every dive - that is worth a trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom