Can you help me with my dive research?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jo Waterbaby

Registered
Reaction score
I am a recreational scuba diver and PhD candidate at Charles Sturt University in Australia doing research into scuba diving. I was hoping you may be able to assist me by participating in my online dive survey at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TVPM9YP

I am very keen to get as many recreational divers as possible to participate in the survey, regardless of their level of experience, and am inviting all recreational divers from across China and elsewhere to get on board. So let your friends know too!

The survey aims to gain a better understanding of recreational divers, in particular, their demographic and dive experience characteristics and their motivations for diving. It also seeks to gain more specific information about wreck divers, a special interest group of divers that little is known about. Knowing more about divers is important because it gives dive and tourism operators, and resource planners and managers information which allows them to plan for, and provide, the types of dive experiences that more closely match with what divers want. It also helps dive and tourism operators with their marketing and promotion.

I am not collecting names or any other information that would identify individuals and only analysed data will be reported on and published, so all participants will remain anonymous.

If you would like to know more about my research, my website (http://wreckexperience.net) contains more detailed information about my study. It also lists publications from previous research I have undertaken on scuba diving and information about my diving and professional background. The results of my research will be made available on the website.

Thanks in anticipation.

Jo

I am disturbed by your reference to salvagers as "looters" in your website and by the repeated question in your survey about denying shipwreck access to divers.

Hi SB Diver, I am all for access, and am asking the questions to see what other divers think. It is important information to be communicated to heritage managers. Previous work I have done has shown divers want access to all wrecks. In Australia there are some wrecks that we are not permitted any access to, and is topical. I see salvage as quite different to looting, not sure if the term is used differently where you are. Salvage is a legitimate and legal activity, looting is illegal. I hope this may allay some of your concerns. Cheers
Jo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom