Looking for laid back dive in Tampa area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tparrent

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in Tampa on business in early December and I have a couple of afternoons free. How's the diving? Vis, temps, currents, scenery, etc.

I am looking for a nice easy dive with some fish or coral. A non-pentrating wreck dive would also be cool but not necessary. Like to keep max depth between 45 and 60 feet.

Any info is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Looking through some of the sites got me wondering. If I have two afternoons free, would you suggest Gulf dives or a trip to some of the springs/rivers/sinkholes?

michael33778:
Hello, When you come down from that cold, look me up and we will take a local dive. Vs is always better in the winter months.

Where all do you dive around there, Michael? DH and I will be over the week of Thanksgiving, and I'm trying to figure out what to plan. We'll get to do one dive while my Mom watches the kids. I want to make it count, ya know? :wink:

I'm looking for the same kind of dive as the OP...I'll be interested to see the recommendations he gets...

I would recomend to go out on the Dive boat in Tarpen Springs. The cost of $85-$115 depending how far out they ride. If you want to keep the cost down, you can do two beach dives In Bradington Beach area to dive a sunken ship 50 yeards off the cost at 20' debth or a small reef call Spanish Rocks about 150 yards off the beach at 22'. This is not like the Boynton Beach or the Key's Dive, but if you want to dive in the Gulf localy, it may not be a good training dive to get wet. Visibility is alway better in cooler water and when the wind is blowing from the east. But if there are high winds from the west you can forget any visibility. There are other options as well... Not to far away are a few spings (i.e. Rainbow Springs) that may be great for a dive. The visibility is excelent but limited to wildlife compaired to salt water dives. It all depends how much time or fund you like to spend. I will also check with a local dive groop on Nov 8th, to see if they are doing a local dive during that weekend. I will try to remember to send you the reults. In any case it's all good, stay wet and be safe.

the easiest dives in the area for seeing wrecks and fish, etc. would be Veteran's reef. If your in the Tarpon area, Tarpon Reef. You can see pictures of both and more info on each at my website. www.davesoskin.com. I've also got some info on local springs and such.

N@rco$i$:
the easiest dives in the area for seeing wrecks and fish, etc. would be Veteran's reef. If your in the Tarpon area, Tarpon Reef. You can see pictures of both and more info on each at my website. www.davesoskin.com. I've also got some info on local springs and such.

Fantastic!! Thank you so much. I am definitely going to do these.

Question, how do you get to them. Maybe that's a stupid question, but I'm still new... Are these shore dives....boat dives? Does it make sense to do a charter for this or rent your own boat? DH might already know the answer to this, but I'm clueless. :)

How do you get there when you go? I can't wait to go now!! Thanks!

I love the Sheridan who sits in about 80ft with some great swim throughs. I have been out with Tanks alot out of clearwater and they are a great charter. No much in the way of Shore dives in this area.
Kim P

Divergirl4u:
I love the Sheridan who sits in about 80ft with some great swim throughs. I have been out with Tanks alot out of clearwater and they are a great charter. No much in the way of Shore dives in this area.
Kim P

Cool -- haven't done a swim-through yet... I saw the Tanks alot site and have seen a few reviews. I tend to like the smaller groups - their boat seemed to be fairly big - not sure.

Anyone wanna dive Thanksgiving Week??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom