Citrus County Manatees....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fast5frog

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has been diving with the Manatees in Citrus County and if so what was the experience like? Is it worth it? Im sure it is, I have already got my wife planning a trip there next December or so. Any input would be great, Thanks. -Ron

fast5frog:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has been diving with the Manatees in Citrus County and if so what was the experience like? Is it worth it? Im sure it is, I have already got my wife planning a trip there next December or so. Any input would be great, Thanks. -Ron
The trip is well worth the time. We have made several trips a year for the past several years. Most trips were great. Over the years we have collected hundreds of photos. Only a few trips were poor. The worst trips are on warm weekends when there are hundreds of snorklers. Go early, before 8 am if possible. Week days are better than weekends because of fewer people. Cool days are better than warm days again because of fewer people. The two best locations are at Kings Head and Three Sisters. Several of the internet sites have maps of the locations. If you have a boat you can launch at Pete's Pier. If you want to go with a group there are many local dive ships that offer guided tours.

Have fun.

VJimScuba:
The trip is well worth the time. We have made several trips a year for the past several years. Most trips were great. Over the years we have collected hundreds of photos. Only a few trips were poor. The worst trips are on warm weekends when there are hundreds of snorklers. Go early, before 8 am if possible. Week days are better than weekends because of fewer people. Cool days are better than warm days again because of fewer people. The two best locations are at Kings Head and Three Sisters. Several of the internet sites have maps of the locations. If you have a boat you can launch at Pete's Pier. If you want to go with a group there are many local dive ships that offer guided tours.

Have fun.

What do you think of the guided tour? Is it really necessary?

This will be guys come join us and swim with the Manatees 12-3-06
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=167641
Family friendly event ... bring the kids
AMERICAN PRO - DIVING CENTER, Inc.
821 S.E. Hwy. 19 Crystal River, FL 34429
352-563-0041
1-800-291-DIVE
The Crystal River manatee tours run year round, and starts from our dive shop at 7:00am We generally return between 10:00am and 11:00am.
***AS OF 11/20/06***
$39.95 For Divers
This includes snorkeling with the Manatees and a cavern dive.
Non-Divers are $29.50

Missdirected:
What do you think of the guided tour? Is it really necessary?

Funny to run into you this weekend! Did you get to pet a Manatee? I got to pet one for a few minutes then had to get back to 'work'. We also saw a dolphin on saturday, that was too cool!

mauigal:
Funny to run into you this weekend! Did you get to pet a Manatee? I got to pet one for a few minutes then had to get back to 'work'. We also saw a dolphin on saturday, that was too cool!

That was wild. Out in the water in the middle of relatively nowhere! My mind was spinning like a roulette wheel for a sec :D

And btw, who say's manatees don't like diver's? Yes, petted several manatees. It was fantastic. Writing a report here in a bit. Did go on a "guided tour". Will never do that again. How did the class go? Loads of caves out there, very cool.

Oh and the kicker had to be that you knew Johnny. WTH, is this world small or what. :wink:

Missdirected:
That was wild. Out in the water in the middle of relatively nowhere! My mind was spinning like a roulette wheel for a sec :D

And btw, who say's manatees don't like diver's? Yes, petted several manatees. It was fantastic. Writing a report here in a bit. Did go on a "guided tour". Will never do that again. How did the class go? Loads of caves out there, very cool.

Oh and the kicker had to be that you knew Johnny. WTH, is this world small or what. :wink:

That is for real - of all places to see y'all.
Class went fine for the most part. Had to help the inst w/one student who kept losing their weight belt but in the end everyone passed their OW course.

Aren't they the coolest thing! First time I saw one I was surprised how their skin felt. For some reason I thought they would be smooth not rough like sand paper. The caves were cool. I was a bit skiddish at first, that being my first time in a cave or cavern while diving before. Once I was in the nerves went away....:14:

mauigal:
That is for real - of all places to see y'all.
Class went fine for the most part. Had to help the inst w/one student who kept losing their weight belt but in the end everyone passed their OW course.

Aren't they the coolest thing! First time I saw one I was surprised how their skin felt. For some reason I thought they would be smooth not rough like sand paper. The caves were cool. I was a bit skiddish at first, that being my first time in a cave or cavern while diving before. Once I was in the nerves went away....:14:

I didn't even think then but we could have possibly gotten a bite together later. We ended up doing a river dive after the manatees. Pretty good. Done the cavern's before... just not my cup of tea. I found them boring. I'm all about the animals.

As for those manatee's... that was freakin' awesome!

Missdirected:
I didn't even think then but we could have possibly gotten a bite together later.

We'll have to do that the next time. We were late getting back because our boat quit
on us and we had a hard time getting it to start again... fun fun!

Missdirected:
Loads of caves out there, very cool.:wink:

Tra - did you just use the words cave, and cool in the same sentence?! :11:

Eandiver will be floored!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom