GTBA Gathering/Meet-N-Greet/Send-off Party- May 24, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
GTBA Gathering/Meet-N-Greet/Send-off Party - May 24, 2008​

Okay it is time to get together and bring the summer in. :bananalama: I know a lot of you already have plans for this particular weekend (like the clean-up in KeyLargo), being Memorial weekend. However, some of us don't, so I was thinking us stragglers could get together and do a Venice dive.:multi: Additionally, Howard aka NatureWalker is going to be moving out of the area so I thought we could have a little send-off.

All are welcome to this event, as usual. I'm thinking we will each bring a dish and set-up a buffet.

So, if you're interested in a few teeth and a great time, put your name down and let's get this thing going :)

*As time goes on, keep an eye on this first post as I will update it with info as needed.
**Additionally, I know Howard is free Saturday and Sunday, so if it works that more can attend on Sunday, I don't have a problem changing the date to the 25th. If you would, indicate in your post which day is best for you.

Venice Info:
Insider Information - Local Diving
Venice Beach
Dive Spot: Venice Beach, FL

Type of diving Shark tooth and fossil hunting in the Gulf of Mexico. This area is a prehistoric river bed and does yeild more fossils than the sharks teeth.

Type of diving: Shore dive

Directions: Google Maps
I-75 exit 200 to Osprey.
Continue Southeast on TAMIAMI TRL N/FL-45 S/US-41 S toward BAYVIEW DR. Continue to follow TAMIAMI TRL N/FL-45 S. 7.4 miles Map
Turn RIGHT onto MIAMI AVE W. <0.1 miles
Turn LEFT onto NOKOMIS AVE S. <0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto PONCE DE LEON AVE. 0.3 miles
Turn LEFT onto HARBOR DR S. 0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto ALHAMBRA RD. 0.4 miles
Follow ALHAMBRA RD to the end

What to expect at the dive site: Typical sharks teeth found are from the folloing: Dusky and Blacktip family, Sand Shark (current and prehistoric), Bull Shark, and Lemon Shark. More rare but also found are Maco, Great White, Snaggle Tooth and Megalodon. Other fossils that can be found include dolphin, manatee, and whale bones, stingray stingers and crusher platelettes and tail vertabrae, porupine fish platelettes, mammoth and mastadon teeth/tusk/vertabrae, sloth claws, alligator scales, and sabertooth teeth. Best times for hunting are a few days after a storm when the water has settled down. Depths are 16-18 feet, unless you swim a long way out then you may hit 20.

Where to park: parking is on the street: do not park blocking driveways.

Amenities Florida West dive shop is about 1 mile north of the site on 41 literally just over the bridge back onto the main land. Sharkey's resturant is at the base of the pier. Venice Beach's downtown district is 1/2 mile off with food and shops as well.

Pros and Cons When the water is clear lots of teeth can be found. When the water is a milky emerald green, there will be no visibity on the bottom and toothing is useless.

Most recent date visited: September 2007

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/fl...efguy-s-venice-beach-tooth-finding-guide.html

Sounds like great fun, unfortunately we'll be in Key Largo. When is the next local meet & greet. My wife is anxious to meet everyone (since she is now a diver) and make new diver buddies.

i'm in. just need a time and some directions.

Tenativley myself, my wife and my son will all be there as long as it's on Saturday... looking forward to meeting everyone...
I'll be watching for time and place details (where abouts in Venice?)

Nat and I would be interested for the Sunday MissD.

Cheers.

-J.-

I'll be there as long as people will put up with me on my first shore dive :wink:

Either day works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom