Lake Denton - Avon Park, Monday September 1st

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveBandit

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Going with a few people to Lake Denton in Avon park. It's about an hour or so from the Tampa area. It's a spring fed lake, pretty clear lake as lakes go. they have a few lines placed that lead to 3 different boats and a few other neat to check out things. Anybody care to join? entrance fee's are $10.00 per diver.

EDIT: I was there today, water temp was 85

Going with a few people to Lake Denton in Avon park. It's about an hour or so from the Tampa area. It's a spring fed lake, pretty clear lake as lakes go. they have a few lines placed that lead to 3 different boats and a few other neat to check out things. Anybody care to join? entrance fee's are $10.00 per diver.

EDIT: I was there today, water temp was 85

Yes, but how was the vis? I generally like more than 2" (and yes, I mean inches, NOT feet) of sightline....

It actually wasn't that bad. We were way off to the left of where you and I dove it for the IE. They have a whole system of lines laid out on the bottom that go to various sunken boats and such.

Yes, but how was the vis? I generally like more than 2" (and yes, I mean inches, NOT feet) of sightline....

I was there with some students August 30 and the vis was 7, maybe 8 ft. Someone has laid new lines and moved the boats around. They're not in one place anymore. All in all it's a decent setup. :palmtree: Bob

When you go to Lake Denton do you have to make arrangements with the church camp ahead of time or how does that work?

I don't believe you have to call them, as the caretaker lives on the grounds. But it never hurts to call the day before just to confirm he's open. The guys seems like a nice and accommadating guy. Just a little FYI, If your teaching, he'll ask for a copy of your insurance initially and he'll ask you to put him down as an additional insured.

Some more cool things to come in the near future :wink:

There's a new nav course starting at the end of the line that runs SE from the four-way. It will be sign-posted soon, but for now do a 100' square starting at the end of said line and do your first leg due East or South. The corners are marked with pvc stakes and cinder block.

We're also placing a random nav course, buoyancy course with hula hoops and an item for search and recovery soon.

Stay tuned,

Willem

Some more cool things to come in the near future :wink:

There's a new nav course starting at the end of the line that runs SE from the four-way. It will be sign-posted soon, but for now do a 100' square starting at the end of said line and do your first leg due East or South. The corners are marked with pvc stakes and cinder block.

We're also placing a random nav course, buoyancy course with hula hoops and an item for search and recovery soon.

Stay tuned,

Willem

Thanks for all the work you've done. Were you there last Saturday? I had some AOW students doing their S&R and navagation. The vis was perfect, they got quite a workout and learned the value of being able to navagate and search in low vis conditions. :wink: We've been using Lake Denton for years, but since the camp has starting allowing divers to use their grounds, it's even better. Thanks again. :palmtree: Bob

[GOOGLE][/GOOGLE]
That was my first time at lake Denton and I enjoyed it.

I went there once with my wife when she got certified. I would like to get out there again. Maybe we should try to set something up. Its a cheap dive for everyone and in this economy that can't hurt. It would be a good place to practice some skills and brush up. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom