Skyway Bridge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The other day my wife and I noticed a group of 10-12 divers gearing up just south (1/4 mile) of the Skyway Bridge.

I've never read of any diving in the location. Does someone know something we don't?

I have heard it's a good place for stone crabs (but early for that), otherwise I have heard the currents are bad, vis is bad and there's lots of sharks.

All of what you heard is true. There is a reason there are a lot of sharks out there. There are a lot of fish out there. That area is pretty popular with spearfisherman. Those strong currents bring a lot of big fish to the table for dinner. You just have to watch for the big grey beasts out there that are looking for the same fish you are. If you tangle with them they will win.

If you dive that area you will encounter serious tides, debris from the old Skyway bridge, tons of fishing line, low visibility and the possibility of bulls. The wakes from passing ships can also add to the W T F factor.

A good "dive" can be done at the south end of the Skyway on the right (west) side. Exit at the south rest area and follow the service road back under 275 to the west. You will see a J shaped rip-rap jetty with a sign at the western end. The north side of the jetty has the best things to see.

Last edited:
I went out there once with Frogman_5 and CMUFieldHockey8. We were stone crab hunting. CMU and I got tangled in line that floated over the top of us and wrapped itself around us. Thankfully we had enough experience to stay calm and work our way out. I remember thinking how someone could get into serious trouble.

Anywhoozle, if you go be sure to have a buddy, not that you wouldn't, a pair of shears and/or a knife.

:)

I went out there once with Frogman_5 and CMUFieldHockey8. We were stone crab hunting. CMU and I got tangled in line that floated over the top of us and wrapped itself around us. Thankfully we had enough experience to stay calm and work our way out. I remember thinking how someone could get into serious trouble.

Anywhoozle, if you go be sure to have a buddy, not that you wouldn't, a pair of shears and/or a knife.

:)

lol yeah that was hilarious.. and COLD!!! That day we were there the water was several degrees colder then everywhere else. Dunno if it is always like that...

the closing of the pier was passed? there was a petition going around trying to stop it but that really sucks for fishing out there when the tide is cruising in depending on which pier you're on..

i dove at the skyway once for stone crab claws..there are 2 mooring spots on south side by rest area..we parked in the rest area and went out from there..the security guy can be an ___ tho
god was it cold!!!! saw a lot of sheepshead around those rocks too..try to go during slack tide if you get into the actual pier area

The largest Hammerhead I have ever seen was off that pier. That was my last dive there. Stone Crabs just aren't worth it. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom