OW cert and diving options around Tampa (the villages)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My parents have recently retired and have a place in The Villages, FL. One of the things on their to-do list is learn how to Scuba. I'd like to perhaps get them started on this before we come down in Feb for a visit so maybe we can all get a day of diving in.

So, my two questions are:

Any recommendations for an LDS for them to get certified locally?

Any recommendations for a one day dive excursion in that area?

Thanks!

Well the Villages are closer to Ocala. There are several reputable dive shops up there but I have not frequented any of them. There are plenty of opportunities to do one day dive excursions but the best would be to take a drive down to St. Pete and get on Capt. Ty's boat. He is here on the board and comes highly recommended by everyone in this area. I'm sure if you PM him he will be able to get something set up for February. There are also quite a few springs in the local area of Ocala so you can do those as well. I'm sure some of the others from up in that area will chime in with their favorite spots to get lessons and gear. If you set something up just post it here and you might get some company from the locals.

My parents lived in the Villages a few years ago. A couple close places to dive are Rainbow River and Paradise Springs. Rainbow river is in Dunnellon, which is due West of the Villages on 484?. It's a nice drift dive in crystal clear water, max depth ~ 20'. It's a common place for open water certs. You take a pontoon boat charter up river from KP Hole Park and drift back down to the park. Costs about $10 for the pontoom boat to take you up river.

Another very close dive is Paradise Springs on 441, just north of the villages about 15 minutes. This is a sinlk hole that gets to ~ 100' deep, and is really a cavern dive below about 60', although they let open water divers in. There's also no real flow, so it can get silted out fairly quickly and is not real big, so if there's a lot of divers it's not much fun. Cost is $30/day. Probably not the place for newly certified divers, but it is close.

John

Paradise is an AWESOME dive but I wouldnt recommend it for new divers either. Capt Ty. is the best salt-water dive charter in this area, period. Just a little north of Ocala is Ginnie Springs. To the west a little you have Blue Grotto, and Devils Den.
I will find out who my instructor recommends in the Ocala area and get back to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom