JellyFish in the Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InstructorMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Please let us ALL know what kind of Jelly? Good or bad type?? VERY Important info for me. Trip Tomorrow. A few months ago I saw a Portugtuese Man-OF-War about 3 miles off shore on the way in. Two years ago thousands of huge stinging Cauliflower. Thanks,

Echoo had posted in the conditions thread that there were some jelly's out in the gulf. Since that thread is not for discussions, I moved it to its own thread.

More so I really moved it because I think this would be a great thread to have for at least this summer so's people can report sightings, where, and what kind. Reason being, last year while out at Venice we were nailed with Sea Nettles. Chugger got stung so badly he still has a huge burn mark and it has been nearly a year.

There were also some Pink Meanies (look very much like the Lions Mane) that I spotted in droves while diving with Donny and Ann. These fellas were scary looking with extremely long tentacles.

Anyway I'm thinking this thread could give us an idea where the "bad" jellies are. Which in turn can help us plan what we should wear for protection or even where we may or may not dive on any given day.

Well I am not the Jelly Fish expert but I think you would refer to these as the Cauliflower type. They are the ones that move in thick in some areas.... kinda they are twice as long as they are across. and not smooth on the top. Also there was these other things.... They looked like a clear banana with brown and yellow spots with little itty bitty jellys attached. I wanted to respond back asap. I will do a little digging and see if I can be more spacific for you.

There were four of us diving and I personally only seen them at the Blackthorn. (I think that manda got stung there.)and a ledge about 9 miles south of there in the same depth. I was not wearing anything other than swim trunks and did not get a sting. Tmet Might of got a sting at the Vet.

The few that I saw were pretty much sticking in the 15-25ft range going down, Not enough to cause a big threat yet. If I were diving tomorrow I would be in shorts again.

Maybe Manda or Tmet will see this and have better info I will see if I can figure out what they were in the time being

I just remembered that Tmets Wife was takeing Pics any chance you all got some of these Jellys?

Ctenophore Mnemiopsis sp. is the ones I was trying to explaine... is this what you refer to as the Cauliflower?

Um maybe this is not the right one after farther digging... but this is what the look like. In the same family

There were also some Pink Meanies (look very much like the Lions Mane) that I spotted in droves while diving with Donny and Ann. These fellas were scary looking with extremely long tentacles.

Anyway I'm thinking this thread could give us an idea where the "bad" jellies are. Which in turn can help us plan what we should wear for protection or even where we may or may not dive on any given day.

Last September, I had a group on the Sheridan doing a night dive. As we were ascending from the dive, we saw several Pink Meanies and they do look mean. Fortunately knowone was stung, but I always keep a lookout for them since then. Here is a link to some very interesting pictures. Pink Meanie Jellyfish Click the right and left arrow icons at the top of the pictures to scroll right or left. Picture five looks exactly like what we saw last summer, except the ones we encountered were much larger. :palmtree: Bob

Last edited:
I don't think that is what we saw yesterday. Maybe Cmet got some picks. What ever they do they do sting but not to bad. and there were not many. Only like 2or 3 within the limits of Vis

We saw a few, maybe 3 or 4. I got stung on my face and chest but not badly.
This is what we saw.

jelly21.jpg

There ya go. Thanks Tmet. Like he said there was not many. I did not even see any at the bottom..... The pic is a little dark but ya get the idea. The sun was hiding on our first dive so not alot of light

TMet would you mind emailing me that pic? Myabe I can brighten it some and see if we can't identify it. From the pic doesn't look too "bad" though. I don't see any tentancles... Were there any?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom