Does Florida Always Suck This Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GrumpyOldGuy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Honest question.

I accompanied my wife to a conference in Tampa so I could have some decent dives since I am living in Texas. Now for 3 days in a row, the dive boats canceled for "weather" and I have to head home bone dry. I understand the need to the captains to call in dangerous conditions, but from shoes it just looks a little cloudy with a gentle breeze (10-15MPH).

Is this typical?

I am a local Phys. Ed. teacher who works outside, all day, every day. The winds that we have had this past week were definitely not gentle breezes. I would say that in the spring it is not unusual to get several gusty days in a row like that. I don't know where your charters were slated to go but I know, down here in Port Charlotte, you've got to go at least 12 miles off shore to hit 60 ft. I'm sorry you didn't get to dive but I believe the boat Captains made a good choice.

Does Florida always suck this bad? No we planned it just for you! I 10 runs both ways and you were NOT invited!

Reactions: Ana
When I lived in South Dakota, I had a bumper sticker with Mount Rushmmore on it and a caption that said, "Now that you've seen it, go home."

You can't always blame the locals, tourists are often annoying where ever they show up.

Personally, I try not to act like a tourist where ever I go.

I can feel his frustration. I am in Key Largo right now. We lost a day of diving today, hope tomorrow and Monday are better.

This is my fourth trip down here and on every one, I have lost days for weather. No big deal for residents, but we spent $$$ on airline tickets, hotel room and a rental car so far for nothing.

Does Florida always suck this bad? No we planned it just for you! I 10 runs both ways and you were NOT invited!

Actually, Florida spends millions of dollars per year to invite tourist to spend their dollars in your state. So in a way I was invited. Not sure what you mean about I10, I flew in.

Anyway I expected some flack considering the attitude I had when posting. What I was asking is do your boats always cancel so easy? The 1st responder answered the question with more class than I used when I posted. After taking time of from work and spending 2 days flying in and out, I am grumpy.

I think it depends on the charter. I've been out in 6-8 footers, but they'll call it for anything higher. That usually happens around 15-20 mph winds for a period of time. Winter here in FL can be windy, particularly in March. Yes, the weather is 99% fantastic, but it can't be perfect all the time. The best time to dive is April - Nov, in the morning before the afternoon squalls arrive.

Welcome to the world of scuba diving in an ocean.

In some of the coastal states, if the sea's go higher than a specified level, while the boat is out with customers, the charter boat is responsible for personal damage claims.

Inland Texas water on a bad day is likely 3" swells with 1" white caps. Not much liability there.

When I am notified of a cancellation I go to the next coastal location that has boats going out. Just a suggestion.

What I was asking is do your boats always cancel so easy?

I'm not familiar with the Tampa area and their deal with the wind. Just saying that it was10 to 15 is not enough, where it comes from makes it a "maybe" depending on the vessel or a "hell no"

I can tell you that from Panama City if you go on the smaller charters on 3 foot seas you'll be miserable by the time you arrive, with most of the passengers either hurling or displaying that gray-green coloration of people not having fun. Again depending on the direction of the wind you can get the 3footer with very little wind speed.

From the SE area of the state the East winds are the enemy.

By the way, most of the charters are small size operations if they don't go out, they don't get paid.
For people used to dive in quarries and other inland buddies of water this may be something new, but anyone that depends on the ocean knows to schedule weather days. The best way to assure you'll be weathered out is not to plan for it.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom