"Caves, Climate and Cognition"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loquat149

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The University of South Florida's College of Marine Science is hosting a seminar by Dr. Kenny Broad in St. Petersburg, Florida on 17-Feb-2012. Dr. Broad's presentation, entitled "Caves, Climate and Cognition" will focus on findings from a recent expedition to the underwater caves of The Bahamas, with specific emphasis on how risk perception during extreme activities can shed light on behavioral decision making related to current environmental challenges.

Dr. Broad was recently named “National Geographic's Explorer of the Year” in 2011 for his extraordinary achievements in documenting the Blue Holes of the Bahamas. He is currently the Director of the Leonard and Jane Abess Center for Ecosystem Science and Policy and a Professor in the Division of Marine Affairs and Policy at the University of Miami's Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science.

More on Dr. Broad's work in The Bahamas is here:
Kenny Broad, Ecological Anthropologist Information, Facts, News, Photos -- National Geographic

The seminar will be held at 3:30 pm on Friday, 17-Feb-2012 in the Karen A. Steidinger Auditorium

Address:
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute/USF-St. Petersburg
100 Eighth Ave. S.E. St. Petersburg, FL 33701

Driving directions:
1) From I-275 take Exit 22 (I-175 Tropicana Field)
2) Remain on I-175 until it becomes 5th Ave S
3) Turn right on 1st Street SE, which ends at the entrance of the auditorium
4) Metered parking is available along the adjacent streets

Just a reminder: Kenny Broad's seminar at USF is this Friday at 3:30 pm. This should be worth leaving work early or even calling in sick! Who's going?

BTW if you can't make it, he'll be back in town 27-March to speak at the Straz Center for the Performing Arts.

See:
National Geographic Live! Beyond the Invisible Secrets of the Blue Holes with Kenny Broad, cave diver/environmental anthropologist

Dave

thank you so much.. I live blocks away.. will walk over...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom