At what age did this start happening to you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich Keller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have run into a bunch of people I have not seen in years over the last 5 or 6 months and they all end up asking the same question "Do you still dive?". I just turned 55 two days ago. At what age did this start happening to you?

nobody would DARE ask me such an obscene question and I am 61!

I was in my late 40s when I started diving, so no one has asked me that yet. And I doubt they will, since diving seems to come up in just about any conversation I have! :D

nobody would DARE ask me such an obscene question and I am 61!

+1!

I'm not yet 55 but such a question would send me over the edge. Some of my buddies are in their 60's and older. Woe-unto-they who would dare think that age alone would ever stop me.

I'm the oldest of my dive buddies, at 64 I'm usually diving with men in their 40's or early 50's. I try and dive at least every two weeks if not sooner. However, I last dove on Sept. 16th, and had open heart surgery on Sept. 26. Five by-passes has slowed me down and I have been cleared to go back diving later this month, but I've promised the wife I'll stay out until March 2012. Then watch out, cause I will have many dive to catch up. Age isn't a great factor, physical health is.

I didn't start diving until I was 61. In the past 3+ years, I have completed My AOW, Nitrox and Rescue Diver certs and have almost 200 dives. My record for a week is 29 dives for a week on Bonaire last summer. Fortunately, this is not just a young man's sport. Now that I have retired, I live to dive.

I started diving at 54. The only question I got was "aren't you a little old for that"......

Now. like drl, nobody questions whether I still dive because I find a way to drag it in to every conversation. :D

I'm almost 62, and all the younger folks that I work with are always asking me two questions: When's the next time you're going diving; and What'd you see last time you went?

No one, to my knowledge, where I work, is as an avid or active diver than I am, and many of those that are certified don't pursue it as aggressively as my wife and I do. And I don't plan to limit my diving any time soon. Gives the "kids" something to talk about.

Last edited:
I'll be 55 in Feb. and most of the lazy young PUNKS I know, get lost trying to keep up with me and don't make it to the dive site. :D

Back
Top Bottom