Diving Buddys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVRICK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got my cert. in 2002 and went to Bonaire with a group of older divers and had a great time. Then I dived locally with a friend who later quit diving because of ear problems. Then I found myself without a dive buddy and gave up diving. This summer I decided to dive again and bought new equipment and played in the pool but once again I am in the no body to dive with cycle. Is there a place to get a diving buddy who will not be to upset over my having to learn again? I plan on taking a refresher course when I go on my first dive vacation.

I'd dive with you today if you were in Austin. Don't give up, you'll find someone.

Not about to give up now. I am committed to diving again and I want to spend time under water.

I'd dive with you today if you were in Austin. Don't give up, you'll find someone.

Go to the top of this page and click on "community" and there will be an option to find a buddy. You could also try Dive Buddy. Member Login

Is this "lone wolf" style off diving culture specific to the USA? Buy your own gear, find an agreeable buddy else stay at home...

In the SEA I just land on the door step of a dive shop and expect to be buddied by a DM if no other customers around on a day. Unless we want to dive at a specific spot too far ashore and it requires a minimum pax to be cost effective. I usually find other tourists like me in the boat. What are the dive shops for in the US? Please enlighten me, thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Is this "lone wolf" style off diving culture specific to the USA? Buy your own gear, find an agreeable buddy else stay at home...

In the SEA I just land on the door step of a dive shop and expect to be buddied by a DM if no other customers around on a day. Unless we want to dive at a specific spot too far ashore and it requires a minimum pax to be cost effective. I usually find other tourists like me in the boat. What are the dive shops for in the US? Please enlighten me, thanks.

Sent from my GT-N7000

Here it seems to be hit or miss if you don't have a buddy with you. The mind set seems to be that you go with your buddy so a lot of people arrive in pairs. If you know the DM or you are with a group you have a greater chance of being partnered when you arrive alone. I have heard if I show up in Bonaire and go out on a boat they will pair me up, but I would hate to go that far and find out it didn't happen. That perpetuates the problem because I won't risk going unless I have a guaranteed partner.

Any good dive boat charter operator will be able to pair you up with someone just make sure they know in advance and you should not have a problem.

Have you posted in your local section?

I returned to diving last year after a 7 year break and have found nearly all of my buddies here on the board.

Pearlman: Many shops will run "fun dives" where you can show up and they'll pair you up, & dive boats may also help if you show up alone. Otherwise, yeah, you're on your own.

Any good dive boat charter operator will be able to pair you up with someone just make sure they know in advance and you should not have a problem.

Thanks, I will give that a try. Maybe if more of us did that we would not be in limbo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom