OK, Can I brag--Just a Little?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I ventured into the realm of tech diving with an intro course at Gilboa Quarry in Ohio. The Quarry conditions, the weather and the instructors were fantastic. What can I brag about? At age 67, I carried the 98# set of doubles on my back from my truck to the water and back without any problems at all. I was dreading that and it worked out much better than expected. I do walking and stair climbing exercises with a 40# weight training vest but I was still not confident about the doubles. Of course, Gilboa has nice steps and handrails to provide assistance.

My in-water performance? Well, that is another story. To be continued.

Cheers,

Ken

Congratulations! Gilboa is my weekend dive site. How are the water temps doing?

Congratulations! I remember my first outing in doubles. I wasn't sure I could stand up from the back of the car.

Congratulations! Gilboa is my weekend dive site. How are the water temps doing?

For my dives on April 12, the water was 42F from the surface to the 25' platforms. The guys that went deeper reported temperatures in the range of 37 to 39F.

Glad you are still functioning well. It is a combination of good health practices, good genes, and good luck. My wife who has always been more careful about eating and exercise has had both knee and back surgeries and is out of the water for ever.

A 68 year old diver.

It's the turtle state that worries me.
I have never tried doubles so I am not sure if I could get up from lying on my back without taking the tanks off and starting again.
The embarasment would be considerable.

Congratulations, but were the tanks empty or full? Makes a difference you know! Just teasing ya. I'm 67 too and am looking at sidemount rather than carrying doubles on my back.

It's the turtle state that worries me.
I have never tried doubles so I am not sure if I could get up from lying on my back without taking the tanks off and starting again.
The embarasment would be considerable.

Turtle state...been there, done that, embarrassed, and survived :D

Congratulations, Ken. Brag all you want cause you earned it.

The water temps are COLD. I dove Gilboa a few years ago when I was new to a drysuit and doubles. Did not turtle that weekend but did the most ungraceful entry into the water via the slippery steps. As a matter of fact, my entire team did the same ungraceful entry, quite a sight! :shakehead:

Safe dives, Ken.

I'm 67 and sold my doubles a few years back. I bought two 85's and side mount now. Not so hard on my back anymore. As for turtle-ing in doubles, I did that once. I was at Telford, a cave in northern Florida (at night) and went turtle in about 5' feet of water. I could look up at the stars through the gin clear water but I couldn't seem to move. Finally I realized all I had to do was inflate my wing and up I rose. Still there was a second of near panic before I came to my senses.

I'm 67 ... I bought two 85's and side mount now.
In my intro course there were two students with side mount and another (and myself) with back mount. I could see the benefit and I would be comfortable with that configuration. Backmount seems to be favored by boat divers. Which is where I'm headed (Great Lakes wreck diving). My very cool instructor has loaned me a back mount practice rig. I am going to practice fundamentals with back mount H-valve this summer by using it in shallow fun dives and I am performing stretches every day. I plan to take the TDI Advanced Nitrox and Deco courses this fall. if I can't perform the valve drill to my satisfaction (I have lost shoulder flexibility over many years of lack of use) , I will plead to switch to side mount. Maybe if I spend enough time in the water I'll grow gills. Thanks for the encouragement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom