Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Results 1 to 5 of 5
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Simon-

Thread: Dibba - Musandam Region

 

  1. #1
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Triggerman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    28
    Dives
    100 - 199

    Dibba - Musandam Region

    Hello I'm looking to go diving in the Dibba - Musandam region and am looking for any help I can get!!
    What is the diving like in this region? Lots of corals, soft or hard, lots of small stuff/fish, lots of the big stuff (pelagics), water clarity/temp?
    Anybody ever dove with Sheesa Beach? Your experiences, good, bad, other?
    Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help.

  2. #2
    IDC Staff Instructor


    Diving or thinking
    about diving
     

    Simon-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    541
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    12
    I'll try to give you some honest and accurate answers.

    Generally, the diving in Musandam is very good. The fact that Dibba is less than 2 hours from Dubai makes it a great choice for a weekend or day trip. Places like the Damaniyat Islands or Salalah whilst offering great diving, are a lot further (especially Salalah which is a very long way).

    The marine life in Musandam is diverse, hard corals, soft corals, small stuff, bigger stuff, sun-fish, whale sharks, black tips, leopard sharks, hammer heads (further north). Generally the fish life is well established despite the best efforts of the local fishermen to keep the fish market at Dibba well stocked. Sadly, the fish market is the one place that you are pretty much gauranteed to see sharks.

    Water temperature at this time of year is around 23-24c. It will go up in the middle of summer (July/August) to around 29c (air temperature around 50c with 90% humidity). Visability can be hit and miss. I have dived in Musandam and had 20m+ visability, but I have also had 2m vis.

    As for Sheesa Beach, I have only dived with them once, but would have no problem rebooking some more dives with them. Service was good, and my only criticism would be that the speedboat that tags along with the dhow was too small for the number of divers on the trip. This was one of the comments I made on their feedback form.

    As well as Sheesa Beach, there is also Al Marsa. another company that runs trips into Musandam. You could also contact some of the dive centres and see what trips they have booked etc. Divers Down is a very nice dive centre on the east coast, located not far from Dibba. Contact a member on here called Aquamarin. She is from Divers Down.

    Hope that gives you a bit of the info you were after.
    aquamarin and Searcaigh like this.
    99% of the women in the world are beautiful. The other 1% work in my office

  3. #3
    Registered


    has lost track of time
     

    Searcaigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Dubai, UAE
    Posts
    3,814
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    76
    I have not dived at Sheesha Beach, but can recommend diving the east coast of UAE, although visibility can vary between 2-5M in general, occasionally you might get 10M.

    Musandam is awesome, but again variable.

    Current temp on the east coast is 29/30C (two days ago) and viz was 5M+ at Martini Rock and Hole in the Wall near Khorfakkan.
    Searcaigh
    "There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life." - Frank Zappa



  4. #4
    IDC Staff Instructor


    Diving or thinking
    about diving
     

    Simon-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates
    Posts
    541
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    12
    Just got back from diving the east coast today.

    Water temperature at Martini Rock was 30c and the viz, well see the attached photo (taken with a Hero2 so not the best photo I have ever taken)

    Name:  GOPR0078.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  29.3 KB
    99% of the women in the world are beautiful. The other 1% work in my office

  5. #5
    Instructor...seriously...


    Still looking for a status....
     

    decompression's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,142
    Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    It's been awhile (2004) but I remember being very impressed with the marine life as far as diversity and health. The water is very warm as mentioned and vis was usually 30-50'. Lots of smaller life and schooling fish and good sized rays. A very interesting part of the world to dive in. Simon's pictures and descriptions brought back some great memories!
    Deco
    PADI MSDT #209304 TDI/SDI #15666 UTD #114
    "you can have my spare air when you pry it from my cold dead hands....."
    I find it fascinating that more men have walked on the moon than have seen the ocean below 800 feet.
    }<)))>}<)))>}<)))>

Similar Threads

  1. Divingpossiblities in India Mumbai region
    By MPHS in forum General Asia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: January 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM
  2. Musandam?
    By wapyaly in forum The Gulf
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: May 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
  3. Looking for GUE/DIR regional websites
    By patmandu in forum Technical Diving Specialties
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: January 8th, 2003, 09:03 AM
  4. Peel Region Dive shops
    By weight_for_me in forum Ontario
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: October 26th, 2002, 01:27 PM
  5. Trip to Krabi region in May
    By chiara in forum Thailand
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 28th, 2002, 04:16 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •