Stuck dump valve on Contour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kafkaland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a not so pleasant experience with my Halcyon Contour sidemount rig last week: On initial decent into the Pit cenote, the shoulder dump valve got stuck open. Here is how it happened: the plastic tube that guides the pull cord from the shoulder valve to the front had cracked, and when I pulled the cord to dump air, the cord got stuck in it, keeping the valve open. Fortunately I was close enough to being balanced that I could just swim up and fix the issue at the surface, but losing buoyancy with a hard bottom at 120ft or so was not pleasant. I'll bring the BCD to the dive shop where I bought it and see what they say, but I think it requires some engineering solution to make sure this can't happen, like a little metal sleeve at the end of the tube, or something like that.

Kafkaland, Halcyon and Dive Rite recalled wings that had Chinese made dump valves with defective springs. Your valve may have had one of those springs.

Kafkaland, Halcyon and Dive Rite recalled wings that had Chinese made dump valves with defective springs. Your valve may have had one of those springs.
That's was back in 2009 before this product was made. This is a serious issue though. Please contact techservices@halcyon.net and make sure to report this. They will get to the bottom of your issue and will check their materials to see if it can be avoided in the future.

How did you fix this?

Do you mean you swam up and got back on the boat?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom