Oahu spearfishing sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to start spearfishing in the Oahu area anyone from around here or that knows about the area could give me some info on good dive sites would be appreciated.Thanks

What's up leesa, is that on the windward side of the island? Still tryin to find my bearings on this island. Kinda funny but I got lost the other day for a few hours tryin to find my work the other day. I've heard some good and bad things about Electric beach are breakins really that bad out there?

Robert Schuknecht:
I've heard some good and bad things about Electric beach are breakins really that bad out there?

In the last year the amount of car break ins has gotten worse. A couple of my dive buddies refuse to dive there unless we have someone staying on shore.

Before there used to be a couple of homeless families that lived in/around the pavilion, but they have since been chased away. While you would think that by chasing them away the situation would have been made better - actually it was made worse. Once you got to know them a bit, they would keep an eye on your car for you. Perhaps they also discouraged any drug traffic in the area. All I know is that if you go there, take adequate precautions - lock your doors, don't leave your stuff in the bed of a pickup (amazing how much I see that), if you see a couple of cars full of people just "hanging out" and/or with other cars periodically coming up, parking then leaving after a short "visit" - I would perhaps consider another site for that day.

I've seen people spearfishing at Electric Beach - but I've never seen people bringing anything out. I've heard that the site has a tendency to be overfished. Most people I know that spearfish know someone with a boat and they have their own "secret" spots.

Aloha Robert,

Getting lost is a good way to get the know the island :D

I have never had the pleasure of diving electric beach, but from what I have heard - it is not the safest place. I have also heard that some people give one of the homeless guys 5 or 10 bucks to watch the car.

You pass Ko'olina before you reach Electric Beach. You get off the exit and drive to the resort. We usually go to lagoon #1. Parking is limited at each lagoon (1-3) is limited to something like 20 each, but there is someone there watching.

Robert Schuknecht:
Hi, I'm looking to start spearfishing in the Oahu area anyone from around here or that knows about the area could give me some info on good dive sites would be appreciated.Thanks

The spearos I know generally go out along the Waianae coast and the North Shore. The Waianae spots tend to be around Makaha and beyond. The North Shore areas tend to be either off of Mokuleia or around Haleiwa -- the 2004 Nationals were held at Police Beach which is just northward of the Waimea Bay side of Haleiwa (past champ Gene Higa died at this particular event; shallow-water blackout is suspected; terribly sad).

Some resources you may try are:
1) magazines including Hawaii Skin Diver (quarterly publication) and Hawaii Fishing News (monthly), both readily available at most stands; also, cable channel 16 (OC16) runs a half-hour spearfishing show for Hawaii Skin Diver
2) spearo shops, especially Maui Sporting Goods located on Kapahulu Ave. not far from Genki Sushi; it's a small shop next to a corner tuxedo rental shop and with the door painted as a dive flag. Also check-in with the fishing supply store Hana'Paa; the main store is on Dillingham Blvd (the spearo shop is upstairs) and an outlet store is located in the back mezzanine level of the Hawaiian Island Creations surf shop on the street-level of Ala Moana Shopping Center (I suggest going there first because the main shop is actually not that easy to find). Just go in and explain your situation; they're helpful and only get put off by people who come in trying to make "big-body" or have an attitude.

Pickin's on nearshore Oahu are slim. There's hardly any nearshore big game to speak of and what is there usually has a problem with ciguatera poisoning, especially the kahala (amberjack) and the papio/ulua/omilu (various trevally). The only large fish usually taken are uhu (large parrotfish) but they're not plentiful as is true for practically anything here and I very strongly discourage shooting anything unless it's going to be your next meal or be given to someone you know will definitely eat it. Related to that, if you do shoot, make sure it's a clean shot; if you can't "stone" it, don't shoot.

There state laws for seasons, types, sizes, quotas, and off-limits areas. You can get info at the shops I mentioned. You must also tow a dive flag.

Thanks for the info bluemagoo, I actually visited the Hanapaa store in HIC cool guys, they also pointed me toward police beach. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Also I tried looking on the net for rules or regs on spearfishing but didn't have any luck know where I could find them?

Robert Schuknecht:
Thanks for the info bluemagoo, I actually visited the Hanapaa store in HIC cool guys, they also pointed me toward police beach. Hope to try it out this weekend.

Also I tried looking on the net for rules or regs on spearfishing but didn't have any luck know where I could find them?

Police Beach is located in the area of the former Haleiwa Airfield. The movie "Tora,Tora,Tora" refers to this field. It was where LTs Welch and Taylor took off with their P-40's and put up a good fight (other fighters made it up, including a handful of P-36 Brewster Buffalos, but they were no match). Since there is no car access to Police Beach without gate keys, paddling out with a kayak would make things easier for you; perhaps you could try renting one at the nearby Surf&Sea dive/surf/anykine shop. But you'll probably need to use your own anchor or tether and dive flag.

As for rules&regs, knock yourself out at: http://www.hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/fish_regs/index.htm

Ya, I have been Diving and spearfishing all over Oahu. And the leeward side can be dangerous. But as long as when u go and show respect to the locals living there and give them there space. Even offering 5 bucks to them to watchur stuff. But it is pretty easy just to have 1 or 2 people watch the truck. Also the are secret coves by electric beach where you can hide ur stuff very well. Just dont pollute the beach and respect the land you shouldn't have problems. The locals can be great people as long as ur respectful. I have never had one bad experience with locals in waianea, makaha, or wailua and other northshore and leeward parts of he island.

Back
Top Bottom