Dive Mishap off of Hawaii Kai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HarveyO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The evening news had a blurb about a group of divers needing to be rescued off of Hawaii Kai. It sounded like they were adrift and needed to be picked up. It also sounded like everyone came out OK.
Does anyone know any more about this. I'm particularly curious who the Dive Op was.

I heard that it was mentioned on the 6 pm news - but I don't know what station. I looked for it on the 10 pm news but didn't see anything.

The news report said that they were followed from the air, until they could be towed in by Jet skis and they all refused medical treatment.

I just called Joey of the Nori Z...he was out fishing. he says it was probably shore divers, cause he knows all the captains. Evidently there has been a Navy guy missing since last Saturday which explains why I have seen all the fire trucks and heli there in the lot in Hawaii Kai (boat ramp). The guy jumped off the rocks at Spitting Caves and they think he had the wind knocked out of him, he floated on his back for a minute and then a big wave came and no one has seen him since.
We lose a lot of people at that spot. Sometimes I lay in bed and can see the search spotlights going back and forth over the ocean, flying really low. Sometimes on the dive boat we see people jumping over there, the rock formations underneath would worry me and I like to jump off rocks. It is just so variable though with the tide, being able to recognize where you are on that ledge.

found this on the Khon2 new site
Search for missing swimmer continues off Portlock

The search continues on Monday for a missing swimmer off of Portlock in east Honolulu.

The Honolulu Police Department and Coast Guard search crews continued to search by air and water between Kahla Hotel and Koko Head.

21-year-old Zachary Johnson has been missing since Saturday afternoon.

He was at the popular spot, Spitting Caves, with two friends when he disappeared underwater.

Johnson is a sailor on the U.S.S. Lake Erie, based at Pearl Harbor.

Search crews will suspend the search at sundown, and resume at first light on Tuesday.

How are the quotes working Catherine?

This AM's Advertiser had an article about this. It turns out that 3 visiting woman and a male Dive Instructor did a shore dive off Portlock (China Wall) and could not get back in. According to the lifeguards quoted in the article this happens when conditions are flat.

This is from the Star Bulletin:

Bystander helps save 4 divers in danger

A 19-year-old Hawaii Kai man helped three Georgia women and their male dive instructor yesterday out of dangerous surf off China Walls in Portlock.
The four were under threat of being thrown against the rocks.

"That guy who jumped in really, really helped," said Ocean Safety Division spokesman Jimmy Barros in a news release.

City Ocean Safety Division and Honolulu Fire Department rescue crews pulled all five from the rough waters, including the women, two 21-year-olds and a 22-year-old, the dive instructor, 25, and the bystander. The divers were treated for minor cuts and scrapes at the scene.

After the dive lesson, the women and the local instructor were unable to get out of the water safely onto the rocky ledge with a 3-foot south swell and an easterly wind swell, officials said.

The bystander jumped in, calmed down the divers and got them out of the surge away from the rocks, the press release said. Other bystanders called 911 for help.

The area is near Spitting Caves, where rescuers searched for 3 1/2 days for Petty Officer 3rd Class Zachary Ryan Johnson. The search ended Tuesday without recovery of a body.

hmmm....25 y.o. instructor....I wonder.....

Melissa, are you feeling better? Feeling up to a group dive on the 27th?

How are the quotes working Catherine?

thanks, mommy, I am a big girl now.

My heart goes out to the family that lost the guy.

Hope they find the body. (before I dive)

Back
Top Bottom