Dive maps?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Universal Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was just wondering if anyone had published an underwater map book of the dive sites in Oahu?

Not a photo from the sky but sketches of the underwater conture with depths and interesting points of interest.

Chris

BTW: 20 more days!

I don't believe anyone has published such a book. That would be awesome if someone did, I think no one has partly because it is difficult to do, partly there might be a liability issue, and partly because under the ocean it is everchanging. That is one of the amazing things about being underwater is that it can be different every time. I know generally the big landmarks stay the same, but it might be an issue, i am just throwing my opines and theories out.

jjgibo,

Thanks for your opinion. I don't think it is too difficult to map out an area. Even in some courses you have to make a map underwater.

As far as liability, I can't see it. The same goes for giving a description of a dive site but now you have a drawing to illustrate the geographic features. I don't think it changes as much underwater as it does above water but yet, I can buy at least two or three maps of Waikiki in any ABC store.

Any hoo, keep the info coming. I love it. The more the better.

Chris

19 more days!

Yeah they make it, it's called The Oahu Snorkler's and Shore Divers Guide. It's $18.95, give me a call @ 423-8222.

Bruce

chris,

i totally understand it is not too difficult, but it is somewhat difficult, it would take some time and a lot of effort for someone or some people to put it all together, although if a shop was ambitious and had a lot of dive master candidates it might be able to pull something together, since as i remember making a map was one of the requirements. In fact I will look for mine, and if I find it you can have it (although no guarantee that I still have it)

as for the liability issue, well haha i am in law school so we think of anything we can sue people for. I especially think of sites like Lanai Lookout on Oahu. Even when I tell folks about that site on the board I usually throw a disclaimer that folks shouldn't do that dive, because it is very dangerous.

and as for the changes I really was stretching for that one. I really can't think of anything else, except that no one has really wanted to take the challenge on.

LOL see above post :)

haha yeah i got it while you were posting i guess, what sites are covered in the book, who is the author, what do you think of the book

It's got about 30 dive sites, all of you basic sites. Broken down by north, west etc. Author is Fransico B. de Carvalho. The site maps are fairly accurate, by no means navigational quality. But it does provide a very good overview of the sites and is perfect for people who havn't dove here very long or are looking to dive somewhere new. It also gives some pretty good basic info about the Island as well as driving directions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom