How far is it from Lahaina to Kihei?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Maui folks,

I would like to know how far of a drive it is from Lahaina to Kihei. I will be in Maui at the end of October via cruise ship. My problem is that the ship docks in Lahaina but many of the dive operators I researched leave out of Kihei. I believe that Lahiana Divers operates out of Lahaina but their trip to Molokini leaves at 6:30am. I can't get off of the ship until 7:00am so I've been looking at a Maui Dive Shop tour to Molokini that leaves at 10:45 from Kihei. So my dilemma is how am I going to get from Lahaina to Keihi? Any ideas how much a cab ride is going to cost? Also, is there other public transportation available that I can look into? Any help or other suggestions you guys can give me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

early morning it's a 45-50 minute drive - during peak traffic double or triple that :wink:

There is a public bus, but I don't know how frequently it runs or cost. Cab fare would probably be $40+ each way.

you may just want to rent a car for the day or go with Lahaina divers (as much as I hate the long boat ride from Lahaina to Molokini)

Have fun, Tim

You might give Lahaina Divers a call. The check-in time for their charter is 6:30, but they don't depart Lahaina Harbor until a little later. Perhaps they can accommodate you??

Thanks for the info. I'll check with Lahaina Divers to see of they can accomodate us. If we can't make the Molokini trip, they have a later departure to Turtle Reef. Would you recommend Turtle Reef or should we just try to do some shore diving?

We've done the afternoon charters a few times with Lahaina Divers and the only complaint we have had is that they have their Discover Scuba folks on board, which sometimes results in a full boat. However, since you're going at a very low season time, you're likely not to have a full boat, so that's cool.

We've enjoyed the West Maui sites we've done with them. Our hands down favorite is Mala Wharf, which you could certainly request. There's also nothing wrong with shore diving, however, you'd need transportation to get tanks to your dive site, etc. And if you're renting gear, that can really increase the hassle factor.

If you're looking for a hassle free and fun dive experience, I'd say get off the ship, walk over to Lahaina Divers and hook up with them for an afternoon charter. Not only will you be assured of a good dive site, but you'll also go with a professional, fun crew who do their jobs well. On the boat they'll provide you with drinks, snacks, and warm cookies, so hospitality is not lacking.

Since boat diving in Maui is all guided, you'll also not have to worry about navigation and can simply splash in and enjoy the underwater world. :D

Thanks DiveMaven for your recommendation. I definitely want a hassle free and fun experience. I think an afternoon dive will be much more relaxed as it will give us plenty of time to get off of the Cruise Ship and over to the dive shop. Messing with rental cars, etc is certainly not at the top of my list of fun activities so I think I'll probably go with your suggestion.

DiveMaven:
Our hands down favorite is Mala Wharf, which you could certainly request. There's also nothing wrong with shore diving, however, you'd need transportation to get tanks to your dive site, etc.

If you're looking for a hassle free and fun dive experience, I'd say get off the ship, walk over to Lahaina Divers and hook up with them for an afternoon charter.
Your comment about Mala Wharf brings up another possibility ---- Okie could call ahead to Lahaina Divers (or Pacific Dive or any of the dozen or so 1 man operators on the island) and make arrangements for guided shore dives at Mala Wharf and Black Rock. Perhaps they could not only get a guide, tanks and weights, but also a ride to the dive sites. Even if the big shops aren't willing to do it, I'm sure one of the small operators would be, and it wouldn't take much persuasion to get a little mini-tour of West Maui thrown in too. :)

kidspot:
Mala would even be barely walking distance too - bout 1/2 mile? Do you know what dates you'll be on Maui yet?
Walking distance for you maybe! They're gonna be on vacation, man. No way would you catch me trying to carry a tank from downtown over to Mala.

Downtown to Mala Wharf would make the hike to from the parking garage to Black Rock look like a short stroll. :)

OK, Tim. When are you going to add a 3rd (or would it be 4th) job and start being the West Maui equivalent to Shaka Doug?

Okie --- Shaka Doug is the sort of guide you might look at using, but he's Kihei-based and I'm not sure he would come to Lahaina for you.

How many is us?

Pacific Dive took two of us out to Airport Beach for a 2-tank, 2-scooter afternoon dive. We helped load the scooters/tanks in the DM's van and then followed him over since we had our own car and had to leave right after the dives - but you could ask if they'd drive you over also. Just two of us and a DM. $89 per dive and I think they gave us a break on the second one - seems to me that I paid around $150 for both. Or they have a beachdive for $59

They're on Dickinson, just off Front downtown. Right around the corner from Lahaina Divers.

I've dove with Lahaina Divers - we went out to the Cathedrals. Only 12 on the boat so we had a lot of room. I think it was a morning 2-tank trip but I'm not sure. No bt limits but it's a DM-led dive - which it should be there, they take you in and show you the way out...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom