Hawaiian divers - Tsunami watch

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard on the news this morning that the watch has been canceled. Something like the "wave" when it hits - or maybe it rolled in already - will be 16 inches.

This is like the tsunami warning that happened years ago - didn't they evacuate Waikiki? When the wave rolled in, it was around 12 inches high. Though I wonder at that point how they differentiated it from all the other waves rolling in.

Hmmm . . . just read the link Jep posted - it talks about the 16 inch wave rolling into Japan. Since I use the news to help me wake up and roll out of bed in the morning, it's not surprising that I didn't hear it clearly. :D

Funny, the headlines all are saying Tsunami but hardly mention the 9.1 rocker.

7:20 eh? I guess I slept through it :wink: that was nice actually ... usually at 7:20 I'm just getting home from work ... so nice not working nights any longer :D

On Maui it was due to hit about 9am and it appears it did at Ma'alaea. We were diving Pu'u Oali and towards the end of our dive as we were about to go through the swim throughs we got a recall from the boat so we all headed up and got on the boat. Had it struck that area while we were up against the rocks it could have been ugly, so better safe than sorry. I think Brad made the right call.

Word was some docks got knocked out on Kauai. Keeping an eye on the news right now to see if that was true.

Haleiwa/Haliewa got a 4 ft. rise in water for just a little while (that is what they showed and said on the news anyhow).

I was diving off of Koloa Landing at 8:00 am - 9:00am - felt only a little funny surge. Found out after that it was a tsunami! No big deal there.

Dave

Had just finished diving the Carthaginian and was enroute to Cathedral I at around 9:00am, when the boat captain informed us that we would have to wait to at least 10:00am before we would be allowed to get back in the water. None of us on the boat had even heard about the earthquake before that anouncement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom