Anybody else hear the earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howard4113

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Kris B and I were diving S. Maui yesterday morning and heard some really strange sounds. One was surely the earthquake - a very low pulsating bass that I felt as it passed thru me as much as I could hear it. It was a very bizarre sensation. I thought maybe the navy was testing some new device until heard about the quake. The other noise we heard a few times - maybe 4 or 5. It was a deep bass noise as well - kinda like a foghorn. Maybe a whale call? It sure didn't sound like the normal hi-pitched humpback stuff. Any ideas on that one?

Mark

jimbo heard the quake too:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=2424427#post2424427

as for the fog-horn sound.. i've heard those too..
and as confirmed by the boat crew when we surfaced..
it was a couple of very large adult whales that breached within' few hundred yards.
we didn't see 'em cuz it was dark and overcast and the viz was less than 50ft..
but it sounded like they were right on top of us..
so loud, my rib-cage was vibrating =O

I was just packing up the car...didn't hear or feel a thing...then I heard the "emergency broadcast network" announce the quake and that there was no tsunami.

I was told that on the B&B boat they heard what sounded like the boat revving it's engine above them, except the boat wasn't near.

Cool stuff huh?

As cool as it must have been to hear the quake underwater, I'd just as soon not be there when another one hits. :wink: Glad it was just a little one though.

I was with B&B that morning in the water - thought the boat was coming right overhead like Al said - but nothing there... Others noted how all the fish instantly schooled together into a tight, nervous group.

Been a fun week of diving though :D

Aloha, Tim

Well I think under is the place for me, don’t rattle me like being on the surface does. This one knocked a co-worker’s washer and water heater plumbing connections off. I was South of Kona diving 2 Step. Heard an odd loud noise but didn’t bother either my buddy or I enough to mention it later. Only after hearing there was a nice sized quake.

I was diving with Fathom Five off of Kauai when we heard a noise about the time of the quake. It seemed to last about 5 seconds, and sounded like the engines of a large boat above. Or, I should say ship as there seemed to be a strong feeling of vibration as if a cruise ship was passing above. Although there was not the sound of a ship approaching and departing, just a sudden an immediate loud engine sounding noise. The dive master looked all around trying see where the noise was coming from. On the boat, the dive master asked the captain about the noise, and if a boat came by, but I don't recall his reply. It was later when I realized that it must have been the quake.

Back
Top Bottom