Suggestions for Diving Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HeyJT

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between LA and OC with a gear in my trun
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be staying at Napili (Mauian Hotel) the first two weeks of April 2007. No one else in the family dives and I could use some advice on where to dive.

Any good beach dives where I can find a buddy? Also, day boat trip ideas? Lastly, my nephew is 15 and would like to do a Discover Scuba. All ideas welcome.

jt

I'd call Lahaina Divers. They go out of Lahaina vs Kehei and do Molokini (inside and back wall) and Lanai. Also post this in Hawaii Ohana. The locals will give you great advice. Mention what kind of diving you are looking for and they will be a great help.

I wouldn't do Molokini with a shop out of Lahaina at gunpoint. I'd rather take the bullet. Go out with a shop in Kihei such as B&B so you can spend 45 minutes driving instead of 2 1/2 hours each way on a boat.

It didn't take us 2 1/2 hours, so I'm not sure who's boat you were talking about. We left at 7am, did 2 dives on the back wall, and were back at noon-30, with about a 10 minute stop to watch 3 mantas on the surface. And the trip to Lanai was only about a half hour-40 minutes, I believe it would be much longer from Kihei. I rather enjoyed the 15 minute drive to Lahaina rather than 45 to Kihei, and the boat leaves at 7, so no 5am wake up. Just my preference. I enjoy boat rides. They are all shorter than the 2:20 it takes to get to Catalina on the boat I am usually on. I've heard great things about B&B.

drop me a PM when the time gets closer and if my work schedule permits I'll be glad to do a dive or two with ya'.

You might also consider diving the Lanai Cathedrals with Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers - both leave out of the Lahaina area.

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
You might also consider diving the Lanai Cathedrals with Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers - both leave out of the Lahaina area.

The Cathedrals was indeed spectacular, and Lahaina Divers was great to dive with.

I'll give another vote for Lahaina Divers. I dove with them last January and had a good time. While the ride down to Molokini Crater was about 40-45 minutes each way it was a nice ride and since it was whale season we saw plenty of whales breaching so for me the length of the ride was really worth it.

I'll likely be up for some diving in South Maui.

Like Tim, shoot me a PM when it gets closer and we'll try and work something out.

Hi all - just back this am from Maui. Regarding your questions - now that I've experienced the differences between a shop like B&B and Lahaina Divers - definitely steer clear of Lahaina Divers unless you don't mind being called a number/color combo - I was Orange #2. Not Jim - but Orange #2. So - if you like riding a cattle boat with very impersonal service - go for Lahaina Divers. Otherwise - book Molokini out of Kihei with B&B - they were great!!!! Well worth the drive. Or try Extended Horizons out of Lahaina to dive Lanai - wish we had. Or take Kris B or Tim up on their offer - we did and dove 5 Caves/5 Graves with Kris this past Wednesday and had a great time. Wife/Niece/Nephew got to see an octo with him while I took my daughter back to shore with ear issues. Mala Ramp is also an excellent shore dive right in Lahaina. My favorite two dives behind Molokini. We rented all our shore dive gear from Pacific Dive on Dickenson in Lahaina - great shop.

Good luck.

Jim

Just one note to add to Jim's thing. If you're doing shore diving on your own and are considering renting from Pacific Dive, I'd recommend you bring along an underwater compass with you -- I noticed the gear that Jim (webbah)'s group had rented from them was lacking the compass. Either that, or find a shop that includes them on their rental reg sets -- I know Maui Dreams does.

To me, a compass is borderline safety equipment -- it keeps you from having to surface to figure out which direction the beach is, and having to surface too often is certainly a safety issue. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom