Maui shore diving/snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boat sju

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not having a lot of luck searching for an answer to my question. We were able to do a family vacation in Maui a few years back over Christmas break. My inlaws love snorkeling but are close to 80. We were able to get out a few times, but even though mom and dad are surprisingly good at dealing with the wave breaks, we got blown out most of the time. They're talking about us going back again but wanted me to ask when the winter surf season is so that we might be able to avoid it and get to snorkel a bit more this time.

One of the reasons no one has given you an answer is you already know the answer, winter.:D

Nov. 12 - Dec. 20 are the holding periods for this years Triple Crown (started Oct. 27 last year). Eddie Aikau holding period is traditionally Dec. 1 - Feb. 28. The last pro surf event of the winter was the Womens Pipeline Pro Mar. 6 -16. There you have it, Nov. thru mid Mar. is considered the winter surf season, but there are usually signifigant north swells before and after those dates.

The wind typically does not blow until sometime around noon, so the key is to go early (7-9am). There is no way to predict when the waves will be big, but usually they are not hitting every side of the Island at the same time. Sometimes you have to drive to the calm side.

halemano,

Thanks. That's what I needed to hear. I didn't realize that the surf stayed up that many months. I guess winter's winter, but I'll trade you our weather for your's anytime.

By the way, we stayed in Makena - you're in a beautiful area. I dove a few times with Shaka Doug.

Good luck with the hurricane.

Steve

Steve (Retro),

It's important to keep in mind that while there can be strong northerly swells in the winter, the summer months can have strong southerly swells. Since we're on an island in the middle of the world's largest body of water, we can pretty much get hit by any side!

As halemano mentioned, going early is the key -- a lot of the wave action is driven by the winds, so getting out early (being done in the water by 10/11am) is key to avoiding much wave action.

Also -- in the winter, it's usually safe to say there are several snorkelable spots -- Airport Beach and Black Rock on the West side don't usually get too much wrap-around and are somewhat protected by Molokai. On the South side, from Polo Beach north to Keawakapu Beach is usually pretty good. If neither of those work, check out Mile Marker 14 (Olowalu) -- "high" surf there is typically about one foot... though you do have to be mindful of getting too shallow... follow the sand channel out, and make sure you can figure out how to get back to it.

Thanks Kris. We didn't realize that Molokai might protect some of those beaches. Black Rock was a bit of a drive for us (if I'm thinking of the right beach) but it would have been worth it if we could get in the water again by going up there.

Yes, it is very strange how some beaches that you'd think would be rather exposed are actually sheltered, and vice versa.

Many of the spots in Makena (e.g. Makena Landing / Five Graves / Five Caves / Five Names and Maluaka Beach (in front of the Maui Prince)) suffer a great deal from the wrap-around effect of the northerly swells. Head a couple miles up the coast and you're golden. :)

Kris,

I am heading there there 1st week of Nov... will shore diving be pretty much out of the question on the west side of the island??

Ok, and honestly... is Molokini used up or is it still a good dive site??

Not Kris, but a bad day at Molokini means 100 ft vis ... the reef is beautiful and there's lots of critters. My favorites are around the two ends of Molokini.

I'll be doing a lot of shore diving in November (Just like every other month lol) - the west side tends to be good diving much of the year, the North end of the island may not be divable by then unless we have a calm spell though. West is my preferred side during the winter especially.

Have a great trip.

Aloha, Tim

Thanks Tim... good to know info... jsut wasn't sure being that I have read there can be up to 2000 peeps in the water at a time there... think that would scare off the fishies a bit.

We are staying on the west side of the island north of Kaanapalli in a condo.... the wife dives as well, but not as much, so she has told me I can dive all I want while I am there. So if your up for a tag along, I would soooo love it. I am certified rescue so no worries about a newbie and I am bringing all my own gear except weighs and tanks. I just read the bit about the shark pit and it sounds awesome... would love to dive that place.

Let me know by PM if you would like.

Jim

oops - I missed that you were thinking of Molokini for Snorkeling - I've only snorkeled there once, and while I think it's worth snorkeling there once, I don't have much interest in going back with Blackrock and Airport beach so much closer. The reef shallow at Molokini doesn't impress me a lot, though it is ok. My big thing is how restrictive the snorkel ops are (understandable considering how many and the varied skill/experience of their guests). You have to stay in a small area, max depth is about 30 ft and the time is too short. If you let me go where I wanted and I had 2-3 hrs to enjoy the area I might be interested in going back for snorkeling :wink:

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom