Time frame to book a dive before trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluewaterdiva

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are coming to Maui in Feb 08. Staying at Kannapoli(sp?) bay in a condo. I have been reading the posts trying to determine which dive shop to go to and what dives to do within six days time. (This is a trip with other non diver familiy and 1st time to the island so we want to do Molokini back wall and a shore dive or two). I think we will probably only get one or two dives in. Unfortunately, this is not a trip planned entirely for diving. (May be next time). It sounds like there are many good dive ops (which is expected in such paradise!) I do however wonder what type of booking notice is needed. Do you think a weeks notice would be good enough to secure a dive? Only three divers. One with only open water certification may not be able to do back wall but I understand some dive ops take the newbi divers inside the crater. I want to make sure we at least get to Molokini back wall. I am a little concerned that if we try to book when we get there, the boats may be filled. Going Feb 15th and returning Feb 23rd. My husband and I are advanced nitrox

I wouldn't wait until I got there or even a week before, I'd do it as soon as you can. Why wait? They do get booked. Especially as the better ops tend to take fewer people to begin with.

For a sure shot...I guess that is true...I usually wait because you have more leverage

Ask around and find an operator where you all won't be rushed ....I think that is the most important thing is don't get on some commercial time line where you dive for 20 minutes after all the prep and travel.

For a sure shot...I guess that is true...I usually wait because you have more leverage

but you're not coming from Kansas, or Boston. :wink:

I booked months ahead in Maui and got bumped because the op screwed up, and they were pretty booked once we were there.

I book months in advance because we typically come to Maui during Christmas break (super high season) and I want to make sure to get seats with my preferred dive op (ERDA).

However, since in another thread Diva mentions that she doesn't really have a preference for an operator, she likely could wait until a week or so ahead and get on a boat, particularly since she's traveling in February.

I'd say if you have specific days you want to dive and a specific operator, book early. If you're totally flexible about days and operator, you can likely find open seats a week (or days) in advance (except maybe during Christmas break).

You might want to check around to see if anyone is guaranteeing the back wall, I'm not sure that's the case these days, and only doing a single day off the boat I'd think you might be rather lucky to get that one in. You sort of need the right mix of passengers and water conditions to do it. The local Maui guys will know better who to steer you towards to enhance your chances.

Friscuba: Yes, my concern is that if I book in advance, the conditions will not be right on the day we booked. Everything I have read on the board indicates conditions very even from morning until afternoon on the same day. I think I will wait and if we don't get to Molokini well, we will just have come back! (BIG SMILE). Sounds like there are a lot of good shore dives. Thanks for the info.

Diva, don't forget that in Hawaii the trade winds pick up around noon everyday and conditions can really deteriorate, so you'll want to plan all your diving in the morning. One big advantage that charters who leave out of Kihei have is that they get to Molokini at the crack of dawn, thus securing the best possible conditions.

I'm not the biggest fan of diving the backwall (and I really love wall diving), instead my favorite dives at Molokinin are Ene Nui and Reverse Reef's End Drift (or Reef's End Drift, which ever the way the current is flowing). There's also some pretty amazing critters to see at the S. Maui sites that many Kihei operators dive after Molokini.

I'm not the biggest fan of diving the backwall (and I really love wall diving)

I agree, I liked one end better (the Oahu side?- W) The backside is too dark, not enough light in the am.

You could book a spot as a fall back position, and then check weather several days before what and who else is available.

Most cancellation policies without penalty are 48-72 hrs, aren't they? Like on the BI manta dive, I like to see if they came the days prior because it SEEMS like when they are not showing, it happens in runs of several days. Cause that is one boring dive when they don't show...and cold.

I agree, I liked one end better (the Oahu side?- W) The backside is too dark, not enough light in the am.

As an ex-bartender / temporarily laid-off dive guide, I feel Feb-March is not much less busy than either July-August or Xmass-New Years. That is not neccessarily bad, 'cause that means second trips will be more common, and there's usually more sunlight underwater on a second trip.

The winter time has been a better time for second trips, historically; the trades are gentler due less convective lift over Wailea/Makena (Wailuku doesn't blow, Makena sucks:D). Second trips usually fill up last so you can wait longer to make your decision.

Plenty of Prodiver regular guests communicate for months about how things are booking and express desires such as second trips with experienced divers to backside or reefs end followed by 5 caves or red hill. If it's getting blown out by the end of the first dive and you've already been asking for months about doing dive 2 at Molokini, it could happen.:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom