incident in January between dive boat & surfer near Kihei Boat Ramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KrisB

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Does anybody have any details on the incident between a dive boat and surfer/surfers near Kihei Boat Ramp earlier this year?

I haven't found *any* details online (aside from an anonymous customer that posted a review on a travel website).

Basically the story goes that the surfers were next to the navigation channel (not in or in front of), not blocking entry or anything, and after the dive boat crew tried to get them out of their way by yelling to them, the captain decided to throttle down and in order to not get run over, at least one surfer had to hop off his board (which subsequently hit the boat).

Other boats had successfully navigated through the channel that day without incident.

Apparently the Maui Police are now considering charges of attempted murder against the captain.

I've been told that this story (second hand from a friend of the surfer's) differs significantly from actual events. Can someone comment on what might have actually happened?

Aloha Kris,

I can tell you what really happened because I was there. It was our boat. The surfers were everywhere. Some were blocking the entry. When we made our first approach the surfers were in the channel, so we asked them to move. Someone yelled, learn how to drive your boat.

When they gave us an opening we made our approach, then 3 surfers cut in front of the boat, in restricted waters, and luckily we were able to abort. No one was hit. On our second attempt we were able to get in. Yes, the surfer called the Police, and was told by the Police he was in restricted waters.

We also had the Coast Guard Marine Safety Officer onboard our boat and he told the Police we did no wrong and made a statement as such. Why would we risk doing anythig stupid when he is on board.

The bottom line is that, on a west swell, boats have to surf in as well and cannot maneuver to the degree as a surfer can. We are not against surfers, we're just asking not to put our boat or customers at risk. As for the comment that all the other boats came in okay, not true! 2 other boats within 15 minutes of ours had near misses also.

DLNR will start enforcing restricted waters next West swell because of all the accusations by the surfer. I mean he only told DLNR 3 different versions of what happened.:wink: And he admitted to DLNR that he was not hit.

Thank you and safe diving.:)

Thanks, Blesi.

Some of the statements were starting to sound just a little too far fetched, which is the main reason I avoided naming names in the post here. Not to mention the fact that it's only now that the rumours are flying in full force.

I was on the boat that day too and from what I saw the guy that says he was nearly run over basically threw his board in front of or at the boat, they were taunting us, this guy was out of the way and he threw his board in the path of the boat as we went buy, by the way Blesi this is Jeff, I dont know if you remember me or not, I had a great time those 2 days i dove with you and have been telling everyone here in Orange County who to dive with when they are over there. These guys had plenty of time to get out of the way and got in the way of the boat on purpose when we came near the mouth of the breakwater.

Jeff,

Not speaking directly to this situation as I don't have anything resembling first-hand knowledge, but as I understand it, the only way the boat has right of way over the surfer is if the surfer is in a marked navigation channel or otherwise restricted waters. As a smaller unpowered "vessel", the surfer would have right-of-way and the boat must wait or go around.

Granted, if he "threw" his surfboard in front (maliciously), then that's one thing... though it could be that he panicked and jumped off, too, with his board slipping in front of the boat.

To me it looked as though he purposely put his board in front of the boat he was never directly in front of it, he was off to the port side of the boat and as the boat passed by he slipped of his board and pushed/ threw his board into the path of the boat, being a surfer with a little bit of a local attitude myself I can kind of read into a situation like this. I mean I wouldnt block boats paths into a harbour or boat ramp but I have been known to be a little protective of the spots where we go to surf and even where we dive because we tend to go almost everyday when no one is there, there were probably 4 to 5 foot faces, maybe more on these waves ,and fairly consistant, the captain and crew tried to tell these guys they had to go when they had to go, the surfers replied by saying "learn to drive your 'expletive' boat" once the incident happened with the surfer and his board they all were waving their arms for us to try again and they were implying they were not going to get out of the way. once we got the boat into the ramp they all had gotten out of the water to voice their opinion and whatever else they intended to do and about that time the police arrived and I left because I had to go and be with my family. These guys had plenty of time and warning to get out of the way and they basically indicated they were not going to go anywhere. the captain told them once again that his oppurtunity was here and they opened up a small opening for us to get through this guy was off to the port side of the boat and did a weak job of trying to make it look like we almost ran him over. Anyway a little excitement for a tourist like me and a great morning of diving and no one got hurt:wink:

I've been out with B&B enough to know this was baloney. I've also spent enough time surfing to know attitudes while surfing. Back in the 60's surfers were pretty darn friendly, less so these days.

I would say what ever happen to the friendly surfer mentality... But its just like the rest of the island. Kinda hard to enjoy the company of others when they are forced upon you and give you no respect. Still doesn't give these guys the right to that by no means. You didn't do anything. Hopefully they will learn get a clue and lighten up a little bit. and Besides, no harm no foul for all parties.

B&B isn't the only dive boat to have a close call with a surfer this year.

A couple weeks after the B&B incident, another boat was making its run in, running on the backside of a swell as usual when a surfer dropped off the wave right in front of the boat. The captain hadn't seen the surfer until then and had just enough room and time to swerve over to miss the surfer while barely avoiding a channel marker. He thinks the surfer pushed off the boat as it went by, but the surfer didn't get all indignant and irate like the one in the B&B incident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom