Shore Diving in Kona 6/21 - 6/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm going on a group trip to Kona organized by the Reef Environmental Education Foundation (REEF). The package includes five days of two tank boat dives, plus fish ID seminars.

While I am there I would like to do a bit of extra diving. I would really like to do some shore diving. I've looked on the web for dive ops that offer guided shore dives but everything I've found has been incredibly expensive. I could rent a tank and take off on my own if I had a buddy, but I don't know anyone who is going on the trip. I don't know if I'll be able to round up any other like-minded divers.

Can anyone recommend a dive op that might be willing to take me on a guided dive without asking me to drop 80$ or more?

Kona locals - what's your favorite shore diving location? Want to show me in person?

I don't know of any dive masters on the Big Island who lead shore dives but there is one site that you might check out. It's down southward at Pu'uhonua O Honaunau (otherwise known as City of Refuge). Take the road to it but instead of turning off into the tourist attraction follow the road as it curves north and you will see a fish boat landing and then some lava rocks. Usually there are quite a few people and cars around.
There are usually one or two other divers (or small groups of divers) around who are receptive to having an additional buddy.
If you go fairly early in the am, the water is calm and it's a very easy entrance -there are practically stepping stones formed naturally by the lava. You can follow the shoreline in either direction although I usually keep north because of the occasional fishing boat coming or going. There's virtually no current - and there's lots of fish life and usually at least one turtle.

I second the Place of Refuge -- we snorkeled there and saw spinner dolphins, turtles and a baby manta! Be sure to visit the National Park while you are there and soak up the history as well! Wish I was going to Kona with you :(

sapphire

On the boat 5 1/2 weeks ago in the Keys, I thought I heard you say you were going back to work!!
Since then, i've read your report about Coz (I think) , and now Hawaii?? :wink:

Enjoy!! :wink: maybe by the time you come home to stay for a while it will warm up!! :cold:

We get into Kona on the 3rd of July :( , bummer, we'll just miss you!

Caymaniac

Kona is a week long REEF field survey trip, so I feel like I'm making a contribution to our knowledge of what's down below, instead of just messing around under water.

I'm going to be dead for a long, long time and I may as well die broke.

My name is Kayla, and I'm a dive-aholic.

Tavi once bubbled...
On the boat 5 1/2 weeks ago in the Keys, I thought I heard you say you were going back to work!!
Since then, i've read your report about Coz (I think) , and now Hawaii?? :wink:

raviepoo once bubbled...
Kona is a week long REEF field survey trip, so I feel like I'm making a contribution to our knowledge of what's down below, instead of just messing around under water.

I'm going to be dead for a long, long time and I may as well die broke.

My name is Kayla, and I'm a dive-aholic.

Is this where we're all supposed to say

"Hi Kayla, welcome!" :wink:

I remember you being real interested in surveying, Have a great trip!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom