Kona and Kauai diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Kazma

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I will be traveling to Kona on the big island and Kauai in July 2011. Does anyone have experience shore and/or boat diving either and have any usefull information for me it would be apreciated.

I am a technical and CCR diver so my biggest fear is being stuck with a guide and 15 other tourists with an alum.80 and a shallow 45 minute dive. I would prefer to do a little deep diving, longer run times and a larger tank (preferably doubles).

I am also very interested in doing some shark diving (especially with tiger sharks which I have been told I might see outside Honokohau Harbor).

Thank you in advance for any information given.

Send a PM to friscuba.

He owns a six-pack dive operation on Kona and if he can't help you he can guide you in the right direction.

I have not personally dove with him - but I have never heard any negatives about him or his operation. Also, in reading some of his posts, his advice seems to make good sense....YMMV

I've been to Kona plenty of times, but am not a technical diver. Jack's Diving Locker has always been extremely helpful, even referring to other operators when they couldn't provide what I was looking for, so it might still be worth giving them a shot.

While you're there, save some time to head north to Big Island Eco Adventures, it's an incredible zipline operation definitely worth experiencing.

It was about 10 years ago but if you're looking for a good shore dive check out this spot. I can't post links yet so google this. kona,hi place of refuge

At the time it had a great reef in about 50 feet but is also very deep just off shore. We swam out to where we saw a nice wall to drop down on and by the time we hit the bottom I was at 120 feet. We had no idea it was that deep. If it is anything like it was that day keep a close eye on your depth gage. While setting on the bottom I looked up and could still see the clouds very clearly.

Michael, I suspect if you want deep, technical, or really long dives, you'll have to go with some locals you can communicate with between now and then, or you'll have to do some private charters. The big island shops I checked into all seem to have a fairly standard policy of diving until you hit a certain amount of gas, not a certain amount of time, but unless you make special arrangements you're going to get AL80s to rent.

Place of Refuge is supposed to be a great site for shore diving with possible depths below 100 fsw. There are a couple of good web sites for diving Hawaii but I can't seem to find all my links... this one is one I used a lot though while researching:

Scuba Shore Diving Region: Hawaiian Islands

There is ScubaBoard member who frequents this forum who can probably help you. I wish I could remember his "name"...gkndiver, maybe? Gerard Newman.

Cuddlefish

There is ScubaBoard member who frequents this forum who can probably help you. I wish I could remember his "name"...gkndiver, maybe? Gerard Newman.

Hi :D

I've already offered to help Michael out on his trip here from his query on RebreatherWorld.

Aloha,

yes there is a 13-16ft (depending on who you talk too) Tiger shark outside the harbor. You can do it as a shore dive from a small beach just south of the Harbor entrance. It is at about 100 ft and under the Green Can. Also lion fish under coral mounds on your out along the sand bottom in about 80-90 feet. even a Yellowhead moray.

there are also deep dives at the "Naked Lady, and AuAu Canyon down south. as well a three room cave(not deep but cool) - these are only accessible by boat. I recommend the smaller charters like Wanna Dive, or Kona Diving Company if you want bottom time. 70-90 minutes is allowed! and they do them on 80's.

there are a few tech's out here
Juli Klaz from Kona Dive Squad, LLC has just started a charter of her own. April is her launch date. She has a refitted boat and spared no expense.

She is re-breather certified and loves the deep stuff.

I hope this helps

BrianK

Back
Top Bottom