Status of Lahaina diving after the tsunami?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It's been several years since I've been to Maui, but planning to make a trip in May. What's the latest on diving out of Lahaina? Have read news reports that many of the docks there were destroyed or severely damaged.

I remember the dive ops putting their boats in every morning, but having to tie up to load gear, etc.

Just looking for some input from those on the ground there.

Me and a couple of buddies are coming down, and we're talking about three trips while we're there.... Molokai for the hammerheads, Lahaina for Cathedrals / Sharkfin Rock, and a Molikini run.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Both of Lahaina Divers' boats (Dominion and Dauntless) are back in their slips at Lahaina Harbor and running charters. I haven't heard that either the Kihei or Mala boat ramps suffered any damage, just the harbors at Lahaina and Maalaea (and Kahului, but no dive boats there). So there should be no worries about any of the ops that trailer their boats.

Aggie- I've been to Molokai twice and have never been disappointed. The hammerheads there are truly mesmerizing, but I've never seen tigers. If you know something more, I'd love to hear about it.

Crap, was on auto-pilot, lol. Nope, nothing secret about tigers there, just the hammers.

Thanks Maven!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom