Tiger Shark at Black Rock!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
black-rock-with-shark-feeding.jpg

Look at this photo of a 12' Tiger Shark chasing a Green Sea Turtle at Black Rock in Maui!! Amazing shot, but when you add the snorkelers in the photo it's unreal! :shocked2:

Yes, it is. Did the shark catch the turtle? I've wondered how the turtles get away; they're a lot faster than me, but I would think a big turtle would be a sitting duck for a large tiger shark.

Richard.

Glad I'm not one of the snorkelers! I might have to change my swim trunks seeing that in the water!

Here's a source of the photo:
Maui « Photo Shark
with a bit more info, including who took it, and some comments questioning its veracity.

That's neat if it is real, but some of the other photos on that same site look very shopped. For starters, I never heard of a white shark at Lanai.

I smell BS!!

Very well could be BS, but it's a cool shot anyway. :wink: I do know that a surfer was killed a few years ago by a Tiger shark just north of Black Rock, so there's no question in my mind that a Tiger shark COULD have been there. I've also seen pretty good sized Turtles in the cove area of Black Rock (left in the photo), so I believe the photo is "possible." Is it real? Dunno

I smell BS!!

You're much too young to be so cynical.....:wink:

There are a lot of sharks around our islands and with Olawalu just to the south, I don't doubt that tigers show up at Black Rock. I do doubt the authenticity of this pic considering the photoshopped shock nature of the site. Real pics like the fake ones portrayed on that site go viral through the islands really fast. I feel like I would have seen it elsewhere by now.

Back
Top Bottom