Recommendations for dive charters on Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

verycoldmonkey

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for dive charters on Kauai. ( Charters that are open all year or at least in February) I am looking for some that would take us to good spots all over the island. Please recommend some. Thanks!:cool2:

My wife and I were in Kauai August 2011. I did 3 days of 2 tank boat dives, Ni'ihau and Koloa landing with SeaSport and I did Tunnels with Fathom Five. Since I didn't do any boat dives with Fathom Five I can't comment on that, however, the shore dive was decent. Difficult to find and poor directions, the DM was very friendly but I was shocked at how they groped the reef and critters. SeaSport, on the other hand, is one of the best dive ops I've experienced, I'd put them right up there with Ocean Frontiers in Grand Cayman and CoCo View, Roatan, as the three best places I've been underwater with. From pre-trip planning and communication, booking, post booking communication, directions, DMs, boat captains, safety, accommodating changes to booked dives (my father in law passed away while we where there), the boats, briefings, tank fills, diving your own profile, dive shop and post trip answering questions about types of fish, etc. they were top notch in EVERY category. Literally my only regret is that I did the Ni'ihau trip only once, I should have done it twice - it's that awesome!

No reservations giving SeaSport two big thumbs up.

Just noticed you're in Milwaukee! A fellow cheesehead diver - PM me if you'd like any more info!!

Aloha,
First off, the diving here has been great as of late. The Humpback whales are here in full force which makes Kauai diving this time of year even more exciting. You'll find a number of companies that will take good care of you here and some outstanding guides. I personally have been divemastering / instructing here in Hawaii for the past 13years and currently work for Seasport divers in Poipu. I'd like to extend the offer to help you in any possible way I can. Feel free to send a PM with any specific questions you may have regardless of dive shop etc.

The three companies that offer boat dives are Seasports, Fathom Five and Bubbles Below. All quality operations that have been in business here for a long period of time. Most of the diving will be limited to the south shore this time of year due to very large north swells that are prevalent during the winter months. There is also a fantastic shore dive here called Koloa Landing. I dove there this am and saw several octopus, Lionfish, turtles, harlequin shrimp, and eagle ray, numerous eels, and much more.

The best dive sites in my opinion include Sheraton Caverns, Turtle Bluffs, Zac's Pocket, Ambers Arches, Hale o' Honu and General Store. You can expect to see world class turtle dives here and an abundance of endemic fish. The night dive at Sheraton Caverns is also fantastic and in my opinion the best night dive on the island.

Most charters are run as a two tank trip. One run at or about 7:30 am and pm boats starting around 12:30. Occasional 3 tank trips are available as well. Morning boats are usually calmer as trade winds generally increase in the early afternoon.

Hopefully this gets you started with your decision making. Again, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Have a great day.

Aloha,
First off, the diving here has been great as of late. The Humpback whales are here in full force which makes Kauai diving this time of year even more exciting. You'll find a number of companies that will take good care of you here and some outstanding guides. I personally have been divemastering / instructing here in Hawaii for the past 13years and currently work for Seasport divers in Poipu. I'd like to extend the offer to help you in any possible way I can. Feel free to send a PM with any specific questions you may have regardless of dive shop etc.

The three companies that offer boat dives are Seasports, Fathom Five and Bubbles Below. All quality operations that have been in business here for a long period of time. Most of the diving will be limited to the south shore this time of year due to very large north swells that are prevalent during the winter months. There is also a fantastic shore dive here called Koloa Landing. I dove there this am and saw several octopus, Lionfish, turtles, harlequin shrimp, and eagle ray, numerous eels, and much more.

The best dive sites in my opinion include Sheraton Caverns, Turtle Bluffs, Zac's Pocket, Ambers Arches, Hale o' Honu and General Store. You can expect to see world class turtle dives here and an abundance of endemic fish. The night dive at Sheraton Caverns is also fantastic and in my opinion the best night dive on the island.

Most charters are run as a two tank trip. One run at or about 7:30 am and pm boats starting around 12:30. Occasional 3 tank trips are available as well. Morning boats are usually calmer as trade winds generally increase in the early afternoon.

Hopefully this gets you started with your decision making. Again, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have.

Have a great day.

I'm going to be staying on the north shore later this month. Will I have to drive down south to dive?

Only if you want to survive your dive. The winter swells are too much for the north.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We dove with Fathom Five and Seasport.

We preferred Fathom Five, but they did cancel a charter on us 2 days before and that was a bummer.
Seasport was fine, but we just liked the shop staff and DM at Fathom Five more.

Is it necessary to book dives much in advance or will the day before be ok?

Depends upon demand. I'd book well in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom