Hanuama bay dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadawgs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey oahu divers. Anybody have experience diving hanauma? Ive snorkeled the outer reef but would love to dive it. I would be available to go either fri sat or sun but would need two weeks heads up to lie to my employers about why i wont be at work. If youre familiar with diving there or anywhere hawaii kai- nalo hit me up. Also if you live in hawaii kai and own a diveboat you would be the most awesome-est person if you would get to know me, as a student I really cant afford to keep shelling out money to island divers, even with a dive club.

I haven't been diving at Hanauma Bay, yet.

What gear do you have of your own? Would you need to rent/borrow any gear? How long have you been diving, where, conditions, training, etc?

Shore dives are cheap if you can hook up with a buddy and not require a paid DM. I'd be willing to buddy up for a few if our schedules match up.

Thanks blkirk, ill do that.
Lonebrave- Ive been diving off the boat at island divers sine july, my experience shore diving all comes from southern california, which can be a bit dicey. I have a full set of gear and a tank. I havent done any hawaii shore dives. Im comfortable going through surf as high as 3-4feet, no more. Obviously in hawaii conditions are diff. From socal so id like to do my first shore dives out here with anexperienced diver.

Aloha scubadawgs - We dive at Hanauma Bay frequently; it can be a great dive with the right tide and conditions. The tram that goes up and down the hill will bring your gear down for a small charge. Most divers suit up outside by their cars and just walk in fully geared up. I would suggest if you do that get your ticket first, then go back and get your gear on. You have to be careful getting in and out of the channel between the buoys if there's a strong current, but navigation outside of the inner reef is fairly simple due to the large cable that will guide you back to the channel. Shore dives can be a lot of fun (and a lot cheaper) than booking on a boat but remember to look at conditions and get familiar with all aspects of the site before you dive right in! We do many shore dives around the island and I'd love to give you some good info and/or take you out on some shore dives. You can read about a Hanauma Bay dive that we did this week on our dive report page Oahu Dive Report | Living Ocean Scuba
Please feel free to give me a call or email any time for more info

Hanauma Bay can be a fickle one. Some dives are full of interesting creatures and great viz. Others the viz is horrible and the surge is even worse. And not to mention the current between the channel markers. But every so often Hanauma Bay will let you have a wonderful treat.

A year ago, the wife and I were able to spend about 20 minutes with a large school of jacks. It was awesome. Then last month I swam with a Manta Ray at the deep end of the bay for about 2 minutes.

You never know whats gonna show up.

i will be there on march 9 if anyone wants to go shorediving?

I haven't been diving at Hanauma Bay, yet.

What gear do you have of your own? Would you need to rent/borrow any gear? How long have you been diving, where, conditions, training, etc?

Shore dives are cheap if you can hook up with a buddy and not require a paid DM. I'd be willing to buddy up for a few if our schedules match up.

i will be in maui for 8 days from march 9 then honolulu from march 16 for 7 days and plan to dive almost every day.

Back
Top Bottom