Aug. 29 from cruise ship to Kona, how to arrange diving at Kealakekua Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I are coming to Kona from NCL cruise ship Pride of America, from 7am-6pm. We're tendering, so will probably get to shore close to 8am. Few years ago coming on a cruise, we went on a boat from Honokohau. We had 6 people and I dove while the other 5 snorkeled. This time just my wife and I.

I'm been searching for scuba diving ops for the Kealakekua Bay, but didn't find any. Only found catamaran ops doing snorkel trips. Are there any possibilities to dive at the K Bay, or am I limited to dive from the Kona area? I can rent a car to drive.

Thanks.

I wouldn't limit myself to Kealakekua Bay as the whole coast is similarly gorgeous. If you HAVE to dive there, you could always rent a car, drive down and shore dive it. Gear can be rented along the way (I'd go with Kona Diving Company-they're right off the main drag) and if you want to get offshore, a kayak can be rented either from Kona Boys (en route) or at the shoreline.

The cool thing about Kealakekua Bay is that you can mark the exact spot where Captain Cook bought the farm - I remember it was on the north side of the bay. Anyway, there's a little plaque.
In the same time frame in the '80's, while I was stumbling around on the beach at Mactan Island in Cebu, I almost tripped over the marker where Magellan got offed by King Lapu Lapu. Lapu Lapu City is where I danced one night while carrying four Filipino bar girls at the same time on my neck and shoulders. That would get me rolled right out of the Secret Service today in about 5 seconds.

Thanks for the link to the Hula Kai. That's an expensive snorkel and diving trip. If my wife comes it'll be $155+tx for her, and more than $200 for me to dive. We don't really need to pay for the breakfast and lunch that is part of the price.

But the suggestions of driving down to rent the gears/tanks and kayak, is possible. It'd better to dive/snorkel with other people together though, or find an op who can guide.

I'll keep searching. (Tom, how the heck do you carry 4 bar girls on your neck and shoulder, or was that from your collection of drinking with them. )

Kealakekua bay is arguably one of the two best snorkeling spots, probably the best, on the island and perhaps the state. As a dive site, it wouldn't make my top 20 in Kona. If you like drop offs and LOTS of plate coral and variety isn't important, then it's a great spot. Most of the fish life there is in the top 15-20 feet. I've talked to numerous DMs that share the same opinion... my guess is there's a reason it's not visited by the dive ops regularly. If you gotta do it, I think the Fairwinds has scuba available, at least they used to.

If you'd like to dive the best area in the bay, you'll probably want to rent kayaks and paddle across. Start in front of the monument and follow the drop-off out and then back. But I agree with friscuba in his description of the diving compared to snorkeling. And by the time you rent a car, rent kayaks, and rent gear...you might think that kicking back on the Hula Kai sounds pretty good.
Have a great time while you're here!
Angela

It's getting close to this trip, so I did more research.

Fair-Wind has the Fair-Wind II that goes to the K-Bay at $129/p, but does not have scuba. They have Snuba. Fair-Wind has the Hula Kai that does not go to the K-bay at $149/p, and in fact can go to different places. They do have scuba. To get to them at Keauhou Bay, will need to take taxi for 25min, or rent a car.

A few other ops have snorkel trips going to the K-bay, but no scuba.

Body Glove has snorkel trip to Red Hill, at $129/p. Can't find Red Hill on the map, but they said it's 2 miles north of K Bay and is part of the same Marine Reserve. They also have snuba at extra cost. Two factors go in favor for Body Glove for me, one is there's the Entertainment coupon for B1G1, and they depart from the same Kailua-Kona port where our cruise ship tenders in. So we don't need to move (taxi or rent car). With such price difference (save $129) and no need to taxi or rent car, we opted for Body Glove snorkel trip. Although I don't get to dive, at least my wife can have an enjoyable snorkel trip. I'll get to dive a couple of times in Oahu, and also in Maui going to the Molokini Crater.

Thanks to everyone for the comment/suggestions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom