Big Island residents - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hoomi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're here on a visit, staying in Kona. Monday morning, we're driving around to Botanical World, over in Hakalau. Which route is better - taking the 19 along the coast and then to Waimea, or taking what appears to be a shorter route up the 190? We need to be in Hakalau by 9 a.m. Driving direction estimates online give a drive time of about two and a half hours. I have no clue what the traffic is liable to be like anywhere along this route, and how much additional time we should allow to deal with it.

Any insights or advice will be greatly appreciated. I plan on asking at the dive shop in the morning as well, but figured I'd seek information beyond those living here in the Kona area.

Thanks, and we're enjoying our visit here.

The upper road moves much better much of the day and is usually the better bet. In the morning you have the advantage of going in the opposite direction from most of the commuters heading for jobs in the resorts and Kona. I expect the driving direction times are fairly close. I use the same road from Waikoloa to Waimea every morning, a rather pretty commute, so much better than my old commute of city streets and endless red lights.

We're here on a visit, staying in Kona. Monday morning, we're driving around to Botanical World, over in Hakalau. Which route is better - taking the 19 along the coast and then to Waimea, or taking what appears to be a shorter route up the 190? We need to be in Hakalau by 9 a.m. Driving direction estimates online give a drive time of about two and a half hours. I have no clue what the traffic is liable to be like anywhere along this route, and how much additional time we should allow to deal with it.

Any insights or advice will be greatly appreciated. I plan on asking at the dive shop in the morning as well, but figured I'd seek information beyond those living here in the Kona area.

Thanks, and we're enjoying our visit here.

I'm heading out to the Kona area soon and cannot wait, how did you find it?

Back
Top Bottom