"Must Do's" on The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soundfield

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I’ll be traveling to Maui in October and I’ve decided to flyon over to the Big Island to film the Mantanight dive. Are there any other “must do” dives while I’m there? Also, besides Volcano Natal Park,are there any other “must see” day activities to add to the list. This will bemy first time to the Hawaiian Islands; anyinfo you can give will be helpful and appreciated. I’m panning on 3 full dayson the Big Islandand 10 days on Maui. I’ve got my Maui boat dives figured out (I think), but that’s aboutit.

Thanks!

Well, I'd say a "must do" for my husband and I is a visit to Da Poke Shack. We love that place and eat there like 3-4 times each week we are there. Its cheap, you order inside then sit outside on a picnic table. They have like 8 types of poke and 8 side to choose from. If you are stuck choosing, you can do half one kind and half another kind :)

But I'm interested to hear what other people say as I'm headed there in September. We have never done a helicopter tour but are thinking about it... is it really worth the $200 per person?

For a good shore dive, I would recommend burning a couple tanks at Place of Refuge. It may not be the best dive on the Island, but for how easy it is to dive, and also to drive to, I think it was great. You can stay at 20' or go over the wall and drop down to the "ALOHA" in the sand at 104'. I would love to go in October myself, but not sure it will happen.

Shore dive at Hookena is always good, sometimes you get to snorkel with dolphins, marlins, tuna, even a big tiger shark, not to mention humpbacks the right time of year. South Point is another great dive, if your careful and there's Green Sand Beach (not a dive, but a sight to behold). Black sand beach at Punalu'u with lots of turtles.

All the suggested sites are good, but sorry, Thalassmania, October might be a little early for many whales to be around. Talk to you local dive shop on Kona about dive sites and drives, because there are many routes to some sites that involve "altitude driving" and you want to be conservative in your profiles if you are driving over 1000 or 1200 feet in altitude after diving. Not a huge problem, but get some input from the locals.
DivemasterDennis

Who do you suggest I dive with at Kona for the Manta night dive and day boat dives?

Dennis, current recommendations on flying after diving permit up to 2,000 feet for no-decompression dives. That opens up the entire west coast and south coast from Hawi to past Pahala.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom