Help to plan 4 diving days in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

world_traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm planning a trip to Hawaii at the end of September - The Big Island, Maui, Kauai and Oahu - a few days for each of them. I'm a new advanced open water diver, age 50+, I can dive from the shore or from the boat (but I prefer not to swim a lot with all the gear on).

I have 4 diving days in total and I need help deciding where is better to spend them at this time of the year considering my diving level island and diving site.
I didn't book the inter- islands flights yet so I can decide whatever suits better the diving plan. I read a lot of posts in the forum but still don't know enough to decide, so I'll apreciate you advice.
Thank you

Each island is different with unique things to offer. You really won't get much of a feel for each place if you're jumping islands every three days. One dive trip on each island will leave you at the mercy of weather, and where the ops go on their entry level charters. By the end of a trip like that you'll be exhausted, just packing and moving every three days, then add early boat departures, strange beds, and the general stress and exertion of diving - you're setting up a tall order for yourself IMHO! My advice, approach it as a whirlwind tour of Hawaii with a little bit of diving thrown in for spice! Also, the weight of your gear (if your not renting) can be a problem on inner island flights and remember that wet gear weighs more than dry gear - I have been burned on this issue before :wink:

During all of the Hawaiian diving I've done, there is a dive guide in the water with you (when you go on a charter), so it's a good place for a newer diver.

This is all JUST MY PERSONAL OPINION and I am in no way an expert, but I have been to all the major islands multiple times and dove on all of them. I prefer reefs, caves, coral, and cool topography over wrecks or sharks so take that into account.

Kona has the best diving overall, a Manta night dive is a truly unique experience. Most of the other Kona sites that I've been too were fairly easy and beautiful. The island is HUGE and unless you are staying close to where the boat is leaving from, expect to spend some time driving. Also, if you plan to stay on the Kona side, but still want to see the volcano, it's not really a day trip - really far to go, plus too high of elevation without an 18 hour time to fly interval. We've been out with WannaDive, and Kona Honu both really good.

Maui has the best blend of topside life and good solid diving. You also have access to Molokini, Lanai, and Molokai for extended charters, each of which have something different to offer as far as topo and sea life. Good food, great beaches, and you can stay close to Kihei/Wailea (for Molokini and good shore dives), or up in Lahaina/Kaanapali (Lanai diving as well as other sites). If you pick a dive op that leaves from Kihei, but choose to stay in Kaanapali, 4:45 am is early to make your 6am Kihei dive boat! We like Lahaina Divers (Lahaina) and ProDiver Maui (Kihei).

Kauai was not my favorite dive spot, but I didn't get over to Niihau which friends say is fantastic! The island is way more chill, and I found it to be a bit boring, but I know some absolutely adore the pace there. The Princeville area and the Kanio coast is breathtakingly beautiful, while the Poipu area is dry so the chance of good weather is higher. We dove with Fathom Five and were very happy. Sheraton Caverns at night was my favorite dive there. I'm not saying it was bad diving, anywhere that is 70+ degrees with great viz is good diving, but compared to Kona or Maui, just not quite the same.

Oahu has wrecks, and a big city, but not really what I go to Hawaii for personally. Some people love the diving there, and I have seen more sharks, and big stuff there than on the other islands. Scottie at Kaimana divers is a popular choice here on the board.

Have fun, and I'm sure you'll hear from others with differing points of view!!

The Night Manta dive at Kona is a MUST. We did it last month and I would do it again, it is amazing.

We worked with Billy at Kona Diving Company - Big Island Scuba Diving at its best. great guy. Lots of good shore diving too and they are happy to help with local conditions. We only did the one boat dive and lots of shore diving. Most is pretty easy access.

For what its worth, which may not be much. I went to Kona last August for a week, and did both shore and charter dives. If your going to go out with a charter I would highly recommend Kona Diving Company. Do a two tank Manta Dive, and a Three-tank long range, and you will be loving yourself for it. If you wanted to do a shore dive, I would go to Place of Refuge.
I am off to Oahu in a few days and will be out with Kaimana Divers on Thursday, and Friday, and by the recommendations by others on the board I know i'm going to have a spectacular time. It also helps that I have friends over there that have been out diving with them also. After a week in Oahu, I'm off to Maui, and after LOTS of research I decided to go with BandB scuba, as they seemed to fit my style better, then the other top two (Ed Robinsons, and Mike Severns), who i'm sure would be great also.
Personally I wouldnt go to each Island for a few days, I would go to two of the islands for 5-6 days each. I imagine your flying into Oahu no matter what? If it was me I would go to Maui for a few days, then over to the Big Island for a week, but I will have a more justified opinion in two weeks:) Have fun either way.

Manta night dive is a must for sure... it is the top night dive in the world for most... and unlike any experience I have ever had in the water.

Glad to hear you are going with B&B boat. It is fast and the crew is great. I live here and have donemost of my fun dives as well as education with them. Lots of fun on the boat and the sandwiches are great.

Might be worth checking out Sea Sports on Kauai when you're there they do a trip to Ni'ihau (the forbidden island) on Tuesdays and Thursdays .. I'm going to Kauai later in June to do this trip, it's one I've wanted to do for a while, it's an all day event though as they go out on boat to Ni'ihau and do the diving then come back so like 12 hours on the boat that day.

3 tank dive with the option to do your second two dives on 32% Nitrox.

I agree that on Kona the manta ray night dive is a must. We had a real good experience with Kona Honu Divers, but there are other quality shops as well. On Maui, if you dive 2 days, 1 day could be Molokini Crater and a second stop at at site called 5 caves. This is the south part of the Island. A second day could be well spent on a trip across the channel to Lanai diving the cathedrals, very cool lave tubes . As an alternative, there is a neat little wreck, the Carthaginian, you can do coupled with a close in reef and turtle dive. You will see lots of green sea turtles, and a few hawksbills. For West end diving out of Lahaina, Lahaina Divers is good, but there are alternatives. Check out prices and schedules on the web for mauisdiveshop.com and lahainadivers.com and any other alternatives you find on google.
For shore dives, the Maui dive shop puts out a great shore diving guide (full of lots of ads you can ignore) and it is free. Where you will go depends what part of the Island you are staying on. Maui dive shop is the best deal for quality rental gear and air fills, in my opinion. They have locations all over the Island.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom