Where to stay on Kauai?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Going for 10 days in September. Time for me to book accommodations, and I'm starting from scratch. I'm guessing all the dive ops leave from the south side - true? Thanks for any tips & pointers about where to base.

I can recommend the Grand Hyatt. I'm actually here right now and its a very nice place. Its 2 miles from Seasports Dive Shop(in fact they picked me up for the dives so I didn't have to rent a car), Kalua Landing is very close and that's a great shore dive.

The resort has about 5 restaurants, shops, bike rental (this is handy BC its expensive to rent a car), an amazing pool that wraps around the entire resort with waterfalls, slides, hot tubs. It also has a lagoon with a sand bottom. This is where Seasport does their discover scuba classes.

All in all a very nice resort. It might be pricey though. We got a good deal through my company so I don't think we are paying the price.

Sounds like a nice place, thanks, I'll put in on my list to investigate.

Before I start to pick an individual resort/hotel/condo, I'm looking for an answer to the more general question of what part of the island to stay at. I'm guessing that "the south shore" is where the dive operators leave from (true?), but am looking for confirmation for that - and more specifically what town (Poipu?) makes sense as a base. Obviously, I'm just starting to learn about this place, so my questions are pretty basic right now. Thanks.

most dive ops leave out of the south side. Poipu/Koloa area. Bubbles below leaves out of Elele witch is about 15 to 20 minutes west of Koloa.
Hope this helps.

The Grand Hyatt is truly grand, but so is the cost.

I last stayed at a condo at Kiahuna Plantation. Very nice facilities and even better location.

I've dived with Fathom Five each time I've been to Kauai and highly recommend them, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a nice place, thanks, I'll put in on my list to investigate.

Before I start to pick an individual resort/hotel/condo, I'm looking for an answer to the more general question of what part of the island to stay at. I'm guessing that "the south shore" is where the dive operators leave from (true?), but am looking for confirmation for that - and more specifically what town (Poipu?) makes sense as a base. Obviously, I'm just starting to learn about this place, so my questions are pretty basic right now. Thanks.

A couple of things to add. We had some friends that have stayed on both sides and much prefer the North Shore. I think they stay around Princeville but I'm not positive. The Hyatt is amazing BUT it doesn't have a great beach for swimming or snorkeling. It gets pounded by waves and was hard to swim in. my friend actually swam out and rescued a lady that had gone under and she wasn't coming up!

Seasport Divers is a great operation and I enjoyed them so I would use them regardless of what side I'm on. If you get a chance go on Captain Andys Raft tour of the Napali Coast. Simply amazing!

Thanks, all, useful info. Sounds like it makes most sense to base out of the south shore. We probably will take a few days for offgassing and topside activities towards the end of the trip, and we might head to the north coast for that. I'll have more dumb questions as our plans start to firm up.

Here's the next one...is there a high season/low season for Kauai? If so, what are they?

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom