Jacks, Kona Honu, or Big Island, and Kona in general

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello my friends, we are planning a trip to Kona next year and I think I have narrowed it down to one of these three ops. The ratee seem comparable, only Jacks is a PADI 5 star gold palm (if that even matters). We are planning to do 5 days of 2 morning dives, a manta dive and a black water dive. Given the latter 2 and the offerings of discounts for multiple days with same op, we should pick one and use them all week.

Any pros or cons to one of these ops over the other? I have read a punch of praise for all three and maybe its not a big decision?

We found some fun looking condos to rent and are going that direction over the hotels.

Looking for some topside attractions - nothing museum/historical like. Any suggestions here will be very welcomed!

thanks!

I've always gone with Jack's and have always been very happy. Keller at Jack's is THE manta expert, so if you can get on the boat with him for a manta dive (or take his distinctive specialty to learn even more), he's a wealth of knowledge. The entire operation is very professional, timely, clean, great boats. I haven't tried the others because I haven't had the need :)

We've only dived with the Big Island Divers and will be diving with them again in September. This was the shop our local shop recommended and it was a flawless experience last year. I like that they will keep your gear, wash it, and bring it back for your next dives. One less thing to deal with in a small condo.

We stayed here last year and enjoyed it. We booked last minute and the owner was happy to have it rented, so we only paid $100/night- Ocean Front Condo Vacation Rental at Kona Reef - Kailua-Kona, Hi

Be sure it stop by Da Poke Shack early in your trip. I say early because if you went on the last day, you'd wonder why you didn't try it earlier so you could go a few times :)

We Dove with Pacific Rim Divers a few years ago. We were in Kona for 10 days and dove for 8 of those. Patrice, the owner of Pacific Rim was on the boat with us everyday. She has a smaller boat so no cattle calls. Pacific Rim was a true pleasure to be with. At that time Patrice would stay up late and sometimes into the early morning hours baking fresh brownies for the next days boat dives. We did do the manta night dive with Jacks Dive Locker. From check in at the shop to getting in the water and back at dock, the staff and crew were not very friendly, shop staff was actually a little rude. After arriving at dive the site for manta dive was when the dive master decided to tell everyone that the mantas had not been around for over a week. Would have been nice to know before I paid so I could have decided whether we still wanted to go. I will not dive with Jack's ever again. Pacific Rim is number one on the big island.

I'll weigh in as a fan of Kona Homu Divers. Had a great experience with them both times we dove with them. I have additional experience with jack's and it was good too. I just have more experience with Kona Honu. It is wise to book with one operator to get the multiple dive discounts. Also, Debbie had her 100th dive with Kona Honu, and they had a nice on board celebration to commemorate the event. They also gave us a lot of latitude on dives as far as diving our own profile. (ask first, and be sure you have clearance). That was a few years ago. Also, twice on their manta ray night dive and twice satisfied with the view- 12 or more rays each time. Jack's was there at the same site both times as well, by the way.
DivemasterDennis

I really liked diving with Big Island Divers. Jacks gets high praise here as well but I like the smaller operations.

I have researched Da Poke Shack and cant wait for it! Yelp is priceless for finding restaurants out of town. we found a killer condo at Kona Reef on VRBO. Just got a great deal on an SUV as well (250 for the week inc taxes et al)!

Leaning towards Big Island at this point.

Da Poke Shop is awesome - Highly recommend trying it!! We dove w/ Kona Diving Co as well, while it isn't on your list it is one of our favorite ops to date... check out the book "The Big Island Revealed".

Big island revealed is a great book! May rethink the dive shop...pacific rim is rising to the surface fast.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom