Looking to rent gear and dive buddies in Maui 6/22 - 6/27

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calhockey

Reaction score
We're staying in Kihei, Maui 6/21 - 6/28. Anybody going diving during that time? Any experienced shore divers looking for couple more people to join them. We have about 100 dives each including Blue Hole in Belize, drift in Cozumel, caverns in Akumal, Oahu and Kauai. So, no limitations. But first time diving in Maui. We always do boat dives, but I think Maui offers lots of nice shore dives and want to give that a shot.

Looking to do some boat diving as well as some shore diving since boat diving is soooo expensive in Maui (2x that of Belize). About 2-3 days of boat diving and 1-2 times of shore diving in the afternoons or on different days. Thinking that the Molikini Backwall and Cathedrals at Lanai are musts. Agree? Do you recommend taking a boat from Kihei to Lanai or driving to Lahaina?

I've checked out the dive op sites, but wasn't clear on if they charge extra (how much?) for tanks/weights/air if you just rent the gear to do a shore dive on your own. We have masks/fins, but will need everything else.

Anybody know how much it costs to hire a DM?

Mahalo.

Shaka Doug for guided shore diving. For boat diving, the price includes tanks and weights, but no gear. Gear typically runs about $25 for a full set.

IMO you're far better of driving to Lahaina to catch a boat to Lanai than doing the crossing from Kihei or Maalaea. It can be a rough crossing and Lahaina is closer.

Whether or not the back wall of Molokini is a "must dive" is a matter of preference. Personally it isn't one of my favorite sites at Molokini....I'd rather do Reef's End, The Cleaning Station, The Cove, Or Shark Condos.

Most will agree that The Cathedrals on Lanai are high on the list for dive sites.

Thanks DiveMaven. Any ideas what it costs to rent tanks/air to do shore diving on your own? Or is that free when you rent gear? It seems that the guided shore diving runs almost as much as boat diving in the couple of places I've looked. Mahalo.

Tanks are $5 and weights are $3 at Maui Dreams as an example. Gear rental is separate. Shaka Doug charges $89 for a two tank dive including gear...far cheaper than the typical $129+gear rental that a boat charter will cost you....about $60 cheaper!

I will be landing on the 26th and could do a shore dive on the 27th if you want. Mckenna landing is a great spot to shore dive. I have done this dive several times and will go again on this trip. Let me know if you you are interested. I have also done the back wall "IT WAS GREAT" and reefs end "GREAT and Lani "GREAT. Hard to choose but if I could only do one again it would be reefs end.
Steve

I can also do the 27th....but I've never done Makena Landing (but have wanted to) so we'd definitely want Steve's expertise.

Steve is now the expert! Right on. This week there's a big south swell. It is calming down though and maybe by the weekend it will be good. I would recommend renting from Maui Dreams Dive. They always have new equipment and the whole set up is about $35 for the day. Tanks have gone up a bit to $4. You can get a 10 tank card. We should all try some scooter diving. The lazy mans way to dive and see more than most people can see in two dives.

Steve is not the expert, just dove it a few times LOL. The scooters are the way to go without a doubt. Greg let me know what day you can go.

We fly out on the afternoon of the 28th, so a morning shore drive on the 27th would work. What time were you thinking of meeting up at the location? We're staying at Kihei, and Makena point is one of the spots I was looking into. Anybody know who, and how much, rents the underwater scooters? I've seen couple places do guided shore dives on them. I'm assuming it's one scooter per person?

I can do a shore dive at makena on the 27th, how about 9am ?. I'm not sure if you can rent the scooters by themself without a guide. Let me know if your good for the 27th.

Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom