Upcoming trip Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freewillie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Many many thanks to those who post here.

In large part due to recommendations for area dive shops I've been able to plan my vacation schedule for next month. I have a Westin timeshare courtesy of my father and we tend to go to Maui since that is our home resort. My family and I have been there many times and we just love it.

I've never been to any of the Hawaiian islands since I've been certified as a diver and will be vacationing not only with my nondiving wife, 2 nondiving kids, but 1 newly certified Jr. OW diver daughter. And to make it even better, my daughter's best friend who she certified with on our last coordinated vacation will be with us while we are on Maui.

We have a Molokini crater dive scheduled with Lahaina Divers and will then do a night dive a few days later. My daughter and her friend are really, really excited about their night dive.

Since this will be our first time back to Kona on the big Island in 10 years, I scheduled a Manta Ray night dive early in the vacation with Kona Dive Co. and then a few days later a 2 tank day dive. I did want extra time in the unlikely event we get skunked on Manta's have another chance. Prior to diving we will visit Volcanoes National Park and in between dives plan to return to Hilo for the Farmer's Market on Wednesday. My wife realy likes these kind of things.

My daughter is really, really excited about her upcoming dives. And to be very honest so is her Dad. I just can't wait !!!!

Thank you to all who post here regularly and answer questions and post. I picked both Lahaina Divers and Kona Dive company in large part because of recommendations here. I was also able to book car rentals through Maui discount car rentals which hands down gave me the best price on car rentals. I did try Maui Car rentals but due to my procrastination they were all sold out when I called. I did get cheaper rental than my wife was able to find so I still look like a hero. :D

I will give an update when we get back, but thank you to all who helped make this trip so far.

PS I would've called Shaka Doug in a heartbeat but my daughter and friends refuse to shore dive. They just want jump off back of a boat. :shakehead: They don't know what they are missing !!!

Last edited:
HAVE FUN, Yes they don't know what they are missing. Having been to Maui 3 times in the last 9 months, and did alot of boat and shore diving. My favorite dives are with scubahawk27 and his wife on the scooters. Sooooo fun
Enjoy
Steve E.

Both dive operators are first rate. The manta ray night dive is indescribably cool, and you are not likely to be "skunked," though it can happen. You need to let your party hang out at some sites where people are shore diving to get them in to it. Lots of easy sites on Maui, and very cheap, unless you are hiring a private DM. Pick up a Maui shore dive guide for free from Maui Dive Shop ( many locations) when you are on Maui, and talk it up!
DivemasterDennis

It sounds like you did your homework. One quick warning, traveling to Hilo straight after a dive requires a little bit of caution as the altitude could instigate nitrogen offgassing faster than planned. I know one person who went to the chamber after failing to calculating her ascent. I usually plan a light dive day before transiting to Hilo. Otherwise, that sounds like a fun trip.

Quick check of map, Hilo seems to be at sea level. We will do Volcano Nat'l park on Sunday, get the high altitude out the way, dive Tues night, and then go back to Hilo for farmer's market and the Akaka waterfall. Thurs day 2 tank morning dive and possible night dive if no manta's on Tues. Black sand beach Friday and picnic lunch. We can't wait.

The Westin Ka'anapali South offers shore diving $80 including gear, wetsuit. I might be able to talk my daughter into trying a shore dive. If not I'll go and tell her what she missed out on!

Thanks everybody. We'll let you know how it turned out when get back.

It's the elevation between Kona and Hilo that's the concern. I want to say it's 4000' but that could be wrong.

See Diver Steve's comment. I know a guy who got the skin bends just driving over Kealakekua which is well below the altitudes of any route to Hilo.

We usually give it an hour or two before driving home (some in the crew drive to Waimea). Never had an issue. Waimea is the high point on the northern route across island at 2,900ft max. The other possible routes (south or Saddle) go much higher. It has proven to be a decent plan... A morning dive or two, then lunch at one of many decent options near sea level, or simply hang out at the beach with a cooler of goodies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom