Quick Trip report from Maui July 16-21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richh32

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First off I want to thank you all here for your recommendations. I ended up doing the majority of my diving with Ed Robinson. He runs a real nice dive operation. He visits and introduces himself everyday at the boat launch which made it seem like he really appreciates his customers. I thought it was a nice touch. I was only going to dive with them one day but I liked the way they ran their op that I made a daily commute from Lahaina everyday to dive with them. This was my first time in and diving in Maui and I came away pretty impressed. I saw a nice mix of everything. Sharks, dolphins, huge turtles, school of barracuda, manta ray, eagle ray, octopus and probably the largest concentration of moray eels I have ever seen. I was also impressed with the macro there lots of different nudis, shrimps etc.

I did one shore dive the day I got in with Extended Horizons. They run a nice operation also. Out of all the dive shops in Lahaina and Kihei they were the only ones that were willing to do a afternoon shore dive. It was an awesome dive. It was just me and the guide(i cant remember his name) but basically he said "whatever you want to do we will do it". two shore dives or a shore and a night dive etc. Basically it made me feel like this place goes above and beyond to satisfy their customer. We took our time and had a great dive at pier. Saw turtles, huge sleeping reef shark morays etc. Later in the week I did a night dive with them at Black Rock. Sweet shore dive. Again the guide was super laid back and not in a rush which was great. I would definetly use these guys again.

As for some of the other shops I called on, there is a different picture to be painted. Before I arrived in Maui, I called every dive op and none of them were willing to do a shore dive other than at 8am, 12 pm or a night dive. Absolutely no flexibility whatsover. The one shop I found that was willing to do it (MAUI beach dives) promised me on Friday that they would take me for a two tank shore dive on monday and they reniged on the deal when I called to confirm on sunday. The guy said he got a group of people and forgot about it so I was SOL. He said to call back the next day. LOL. Same goes for Shaka Doug. He had every excuse in the book not to do a shore dive and I even was going to pay the 50% premium to do the dive. He admitted its not worth his time to do a one on one dive, but yet he advertises it on his sight as a "private dive" at a 50% premium. I guess the economy is alive and well for him, whereas he can pick and choose. In my book BIG THUMBS DOWN for both of these dive ops.

Overall a very nice dive trip. I will be back again some day.

Last edited:
run that by me again...

You want to run that by me again Rich?? When did this happen? I made several dives that week. By your post title you were only here for 5 days. I go out at 9 am (and sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes at night). My night dives meet around an hour before sunset. Not sure why you couldn't have joined me on some of those even if it was last minute... you got me on that one.

Am I reading this right? He's getting mad at me for not saving a dive someone else screwed up?

Although it would appear to many of you readers out there that I am a fish (I know, I know... 5,000 dives~infinity, right?....) believe it or not, I have a life on land besides just being at the mercy of anyone who wants to dive at any time. I try to accomodate most requests but sometimes I have other things on my schedule and even making it a "Private Dive" (which I do offer for a premium fee) isn't going to make a difference. I really doubt I gave Richh32, as he said: "every excuse in the book not to do a shore dive". Are you serious? That's all I do is shore dive. I find it to be way better than most boat dives. Except of course when conditions suck.... and they really do sometimes... Then a boat really helps. Did the conditions happen to suck when he called me? Who knows?... I had a lot going on that week getting my new accomodations ready (side note: please check out the new post I placed in the trips and local marketplace threads! I will be offering accomodations starting in September! King Bed, Steps from Beach! Under $100 a night!!) and maybe I just could not find a way to dive with him. I don't remember him.

Sorry to surprise, I've got things to do too. That's how it goes when you dive as much as I do... if we can't go today, maybe we can try tomorrow... no biggie... the fish aren't going anywhere... the ocean isn't going anywhere... my tanks are full and loaded up and ready to go... are you?

And in case anyone is wondering, I do admit it. It is not really worth it for me to do a one on one dive. (Try that on a boat! Most boats around here can't break-even without a minimum of 4 paying customers!) That's why I tell people I have a two person minimum to go out. Do the math yourself and you will see. There are many expenses in this activity! It doesn't always stop me though as I have taken hundreds of single divers out in my 28 years of leading dives. I've taken the loss many times. It's not always about the money...

:):):):):):)

These are from that week:

7-19-12 Diving Five Caves & Turtle Piles 048.jpg7-19-12 Diving Five Caves & Turtle Piles 031.jpg

Last edited:
Doug
The bottom line is you didnt want to do the dive that day because i was solo. Here is your email to me for everyone to see:

Hi Rich,

That may work. I already have four people for Monday morning for a single tank dive although they may want to do a secod one. That would take me to about pm. My Twilight 2 Tank trip meets at 4. It woul dmean either 3 or 4 hours in the water for me that day. I am just coming off a bad back injury about 11 weeks ago. I still feel it and haven't made a three dive day yet... I'm not saying I can't do itbut I kindof have to see ow it goes. Maybe we can talk a day or two and see how water is shaping up and all. I may be able to get other divers too.

You said you arrive that morning. Where will you be coming from?

Let me know what you think. I will know more as it gets closer. We are keeping an eye on the remains of tropical storm Daniel and Hurricane Emilia at present. Could possibly interfere with diving the next week or so. I hope not.

I must be missing some thing....I don't see where Doug says in his e-mail that he doesn't want to take a solo out. What I read is that he already had 3 tanks planned for sure (am and night) and probably a second morning dive, making it a 4 tank day and pushing the time with a 4pm meet time for his night dive. It seems clear to me that he was simply explaining he hurt his back and wasn't sure he could handle adding yet another tank given his injury and his schedule.

Just because he said he wanted to see if he could get other divers doesn't mean he was unwilling to take you as a solo....he simply may have been thinking he could save you some money if he could find other divers.

"WOW" How could you even start a post like that. Doug, After being in buisness for over 30 years, I can say you will "NEVER" make everyone happy. I will go diving for sure with you on my next trip to Maui.
Aloha

In case anyone is wondering, I sent him that email from my phone (which leaves a lot to be desired). That's why it has spelling errors and is a little sloppy, etc... You can read my hundreds of posts here and see that I am usually a little more careful when it comes to writing... (My English teacher would cringe and smack me with a ruler if she saw that email!)

I guess he just doesn't get it... Sorry Rich...

I'm kinda glad he posted that email though...

True, you can't please everyone all the time but I was doing SO good....

By the way, my back is still not 100% but I'm getting there! For any of you who have not yet experienced the amazing thrill of blowing out your back... Try shore diving with a herniated L4 sometime... Wait, try walking to the bathroom with one... I mean, try laying in bed with one... ain't no fun! Even breathing was a bitch some days! I am SO glad that is over!

Here's a fun pic for ya from just the other day....

7-30-12 Diving Five Caves & Makena Landing 049.jpg

Doug said he had 4 divers in the water in the AM, and then a scheduled twilight dive that day, and wasn't sure he'd be up for squeezing another one in. We dove with Doug, and he works his A$$ off setting peoples' gear up, briefing, managing divers of VASTLY different skill levels, and keeping everyone happy and safe. The entry at five graves isn't as easy as off the back of a boat, and then he has to take all his rental gear home and rinse that stuff out BEFORE what I would assume is a well earned beverage (or three). The man earns his money, and you should give him a break dude!

For any of you who have not yet experienced the amazing thrill of blowing out your back...

Been there, brother. Hope never to go back. I'm now VERY careful about what I do, or don't do, with my back. Best of luck!

Tim

Ouch, you really didn't need to yell, though obviously you're very frustrated and upset. It absolutely is NOT clear from the e-mail or anything previously said that the twilight dive was your planned dive. Thank you for clearing that up, a simple clarification would have sufficed.

Back
Top Bottom