Fun things to do in Kona while not diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We'll be staying in Kona for 7 nights next month and have 4 days of 2 tank AM dives planned and the black water night dive.

This leaves us with a lot of free time and I would love some suggestions for what else to do on the island. Before we head to Kona we are doing 2 days in and around Volcanos National Park, so we'll probably stay on the Kona side for the rest of the trip. We like food, live music, and heading off the beaten path. We don't like dressing up or doing any serious hiking.

Thanks!

The ditch sure sounds interesting. I'll run that by the wife and kids to see if it gets a thumbs up.

I've not been to Kona in about 10 years. I am headed back in two weeks and have been planning a bunch of non-diving activities for the family.

If you are interested there is a swim with the dolphin experience at the Marriott Waikoloa. There is a nearby small shopping area as well. Towards that end of Hawaii you can go to a cowboy ranch or either coffee plantations or vanilla bean farms. The observatory at the Mauna Loa observatory, but big caution since it is at altitude and you would have to plan your visit accordingly.

I've currently planned go Volcanoes National park first. Since we will plan spend the entire day we are actually planning to drive back on Wednesday for the Hilo farmer's market. On the return trip we will also plan to visit the Akaka falls. There is a local zoo nearby as well although I'm not sure we will go to the zoo. The last day we will be travelling south to the Punaluu black sand beach. I understand ameneties nearby are scarce so at some point we will stop along the way and get a picnic lunch.

Hope that gives you some ideas. You can also check out the link, I used it quite a bit for my trip.

Hawaii's Official Tourism Site -- Travel Info for Your Hawaii Vacation

Thanks Freewillie... We are diving pretty much all week so I don't think we'll be back to the Hilo side because of the altitude on the drive over/back. I'll check out the link :)

while on the hilo/volcano national park side - check out the botanical gardens and akaka falls.

Kona side - the bay of refuge is cool and Da Poke Shack is the best ahi I have eaten in a LONG time. It is usually just a couple of hours out of the water.

Where are staying?

This sounds cool but I read on their website that it's $140 per person. I guess I should have qualified that with 5 days of diving, this is already an expensive trip for us, so i'm really looking for less expensive things. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

The dolphin thing is actually at the Hilton Wiakaloa...Hapuna beach was beautiful, and the hole in the wall burger place Kohala Burger and Taco - Home way north at the harbor was the best food we ate all week! Shore diving/snorkeling at Puako road's end was really good too! Be ready to drive LOTS the big island is BIG!

You need to set at least one day aside to do Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park. You should do at least one trail, either Kilauea 'Iki or Mana Ulu. Stop at Thurston Lava Tube and remember your dive lights to explore the lower end of the tube. End up at Jaggar Museum just before sunset for the view of the Halemaumau pit glowing with the light of the lava lake. One modest fee gets your entire family in for a week.

Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park - Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park

You could head up to Mauna Kea, the visitor station has nightly viewing through a bunch of telescopes. It is free, other than the gas needed to drive up the mountain.

Welcome to MKVIS - Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station

A visit to Pu'uhonua O Hōnaunau (City of Refuge) is worth a drive down the coast. Some decent stuff to see along the way and a nice place to spend a day. Take snorkeling gear as well, just beyond the park entrance is a dive/snorkel site locally called Two Steps

Pu`uhonua o Honaunau National Historical Park - Pu`uhonua O Hōnaunau National Historical Park
Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Place of Refuge of The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands

Thanks for the info we are spending 2 days at the volcanos national park at the beginning of the trip :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom