best outfit for molokini, kamaaina rates?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bjgove1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Husband and I are flying over to maui from oahu, where we live, for a quick getaway before school starts. We have both wanted to dive the back side of molokini for awhile. I hear the back wall is excellent, where the area that people snorkel is over populated and the vis is not as good. We are on a bit of a budget, but if we can find a really excellent outfit and a decent price, we will bite the bullet. We have all of our own gear, just need tanks and advice! We are staying north of lahaina but will take the early drive to Kihei if necessary.
Thanks!!

I did a week-long trip over to Maui last year. We stayed in Lahaina and didn't mind the drive down to Kihei for some of out diving. Didn't get to dive the back wall, but used Mike Severs out of Kihei for the Molokini dives. Good crew. Seth was a great DM. It seems that I'm always reading about three shops in Kihei...Mike Severns, Ed Robinsons, and another that I can't remember right now.

I have done the back wall two times with Lahaina Divers, Great company and had a blast both times. Viz was outstanding both times, 2nd dive we did reefs end both times. Will go again next time I go to Maui.

Be aware that the back wall dive is very dependent on weather and water conditions, and even if that dive is scheduled, when they get out there, they may not be able to do it.

I agree with TSandM, It all depends on currents and local conditions. I would reccommend B&B since I dont want to spend an hour boat ride from Lahaina. I would drive to Kihei boat ramp. You have to be there at 5:45 but it is worth getting to Molokini first. They have the pick of dive sites. If you request the backwall they will try to accommodate your request. I am not sure what they offer for Kamaaina but I think it is $100. Have a fun trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom