Kona: How is Big Island Watersports for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Torontonian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
On Wed. Aug. 29, my wife and I will be coming to Kona on cruise ship. We'll go on the Body Glove 8am snorkel cruise to "Red Hill", returning around noon.

After that, for the remaining time, I found Big Island Watersports that offers 1-tank shore diving at 2pm, right by the King Kam hotel. Costs $70 + $20 (BCD + reg rental). Not cheap but probably be done around 3pm, so it's convenient with good timing. After diving, it leaves us just a little time to stroll around town, before tendering back to ship by 5pm.

I tried to search, but didn't find anything about Big Island Watersports, beside an old post 6 years ago on snuba that they also offer.

Anyone can comment on this outfit?

Thanks.

Anyone can comment on this outfit?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]
We dove with Big Island Water Sports on a Celebrity cruise in May. We did a two tank boat dive with them, and while I know you are asking about shore dives, if our two tank dive is any indication, I can recommend them without reservation. They were extremely professional and fun to dive with. They seemed to want each of us to have a great dive, and as an example, they stayed around the first dive site for another 20 minutes so we could snorkel with a pod of spinner dolphins that showed up just as we were getting ready to head to the second dive site. Their boat was very comfortable and it had a great ladder. They were happy to give all the divers as much or little help as was needed, and the snacks, fresh fruit and ice cold water was abundant. I would use them again next time we are in Kona.

You might check with Jack's also. Jack's Diving Locker : Guided Shore Diving
Only have time for 1-tank dive? ...Just call to arrange a one-tank shore dive and we'll take care of the rest. $80 includes all gear if you need it, guide and transportation to dive site in Kona. Meeting time is usually 10am and you'll return to our shop about 12pm - 1pm, or we can meet at 1pm and be done about 4pm. This excursion is also scheduled by request only, so call to reserve yours now! (FYI - There might be other people with you on your dive).

Google Earth put's Jack's at 8/10ths. of a mile south of the cruise tender pier. Maybe they'd pick you up?

This is probably the dive you'll do with Big Island: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/TBI/Kailua/index.htm

I would guess Jack's goes somewhere else but IDK since they say Kona also maybe they don't. The next nearest shore dive is a couple miles south.

Thanks for the responses. Yap I also saw that shore dive with Jack's after see the Big Island Watersports. Jack's say 1-4pm, don't know where they go and if that longer time is because they do 2-tanks instead of 1-tank. I'll contact them to find out.

I ended up booking shore diving with Jack's. When I emailed Big Island sports, their responses were short and not too friendly. Responses from Jack's were much more detailed and welcoming. Jack's has a rate of $80 + $17 gear rental for certified divers, that can dive at several different places. They also have a $55 dive at the same place, by the King Kam hotel, that includes gear rental, but is a shorter dive and can be a resort type course for non-certified divers. I went for this $55 including gear dive by King Kam hotel. It's ok for me to have a shorter dive, as long as I get to dive and not too expensive. They'll also pick up my wife and I to their shop to get set up, then back to the pier. Jack's has a license to park at the pier, which makes things really easy for everyone.

I called up Angela at Jack's to book, and she was friendly as in the email exchanges. I have a very good feeling about this upcoming dive. Thanks diversteve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom