Suggestion of my scuba diving plan while in Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glee719

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I would like get some opinions from people who are familiar with diving in Kauai and Maui. I read many posts, TripAdvisor, etc. and I want to see if I am hitting all the good diving spots.

Oahu: 3 days (no diving plans so far. Anything worth while?)

Maui: 4.5 days
I am staying at the Maui Coast Hotel on 2259 S. Kihei Rd. Kihei.
I will probably do a day or two boat dives and a day or two shore dives.
Edi Robinson or Mike Severns or B&B for boat dives
Shaka Doug for guided shore dives
Sites to see: Molokini, (anything else?) I want to see manta rays :D
p.s. What are the scooter dives I am reading about? Like this? (I am the one in the back.)
551146_2826923851578_1745020571_n.jpg

Kauai: 4.5 days
No idea where I am staying yet.
One day to go out to Niihau, try Seasport Divers
Couple other days ???

I am Divemaster certified with about 130 dives, and 40 of them this year. I would like to hook up with local divers for shore dives if possible, especially if it's shallow and I don't have to be restricted to 45 - 60 minutes. Thanks!

Ed Robinson took my buddy to the Manta cleaning station site. They saw three.
What are the scooter dives I am reading about? Like this?
No - like this: fave-amy_sm.jpg - borrowed from Maui Dreams Dive Co. in Kihei. Shore Dives - Maui Dreams Dive Co They also have a buddy sign-up sheet at the store. Shaka Doug has scooters also. It's a lot of fun and substantially lowers your air consumption. Depending on configuration run-time can be around an hour. Most of Maui shore diving is pretty shallow so they're useful to get out to deeper water.

Some shore diving options: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands I like Wailea Beach, not particularly deep but interesting off the south point. Makena Landing nearby is another good site.

Ni'ihau diving is going to shut down in late? September - IDK when you're planning to be there. Fathom Five does it also. After that the big waves start rolling in and the crossing is too rough. In winter northside Kauai diving shuts down also.

Since you don't have a place yet, look for something near Poipu Beach on the south side. Both dive operations leave from near there. Everybody does Sheraton Caverns - it's the signature Kauai dive. Koloa Landing near there is a decent shore dive also. Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Kauai, Hawaiian Islands

Last edited:
You need to hook up with scubahawk27 for a scooter dive while on Maui, more fun then any boat or shore dive. I'm sure he will see these posts. Alot of great shore diving on Maui also.

For Kauai definitely dive Niihau with Seasport. As others have mentioned, Sheraton Caverns is a really fun dive. 45-60' so lots OF bottom time with nitrox.

I can recommend the Grand Hyatt. It is a great resort and is only 2 miles from Koloa Landing and Seaports shop. Make sure you set aside time to tour the Napali Coast by motorized raft, catamaran, or helicopter. I recommend the raft trip.

Last edited:
Ni'ihau is awesome and the whole south shore of Kauai is filled with great diving, both from boat and shore (at Koloa Landing).

Fathom Five is my favorite operator for all these dives. They run smaller boats than the "other guys," so you have smaller dive groups and more personalized experience.

Plus, their Ni'ihau boat is damned fast.

If you like wreck dives, then go out with Gabe (scottitheduck). If you want do some easy shore dives, go up to the north shore and rent a couple tanks, then go to Sharks Cove. When are you going? Time of year will make a big difference when it comes to the north shore. I liked B&B on Maui, and they like photographers, as does Gabe. I will go back to Maui again one day, then I can learn more about the shore diving, as I wasnt able to get any shore dives done while there this last time.

Are you committed to that schedule? 3 islands in 12 days kills a lot of time drying, packing, traveling. In trying to do everything you could wind up doing less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom