New Site Ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediverrn

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aloha. I am a DM living in Hawaii. I frequently take friends out diving and I'm looking for some new sites. I've kinda been there done that on alot of the more popular ones and I have people asking for something different. I have done the following:

Haleiwa Trench
Jameson's Wall
Three Tables
Firehouse- both the wall and firehouse to shark's cove
Sharks Cove- left right and out to the finger.
Electric Beach- left right and pipe
Makaha

I haven't really found any shore diving on the south. I've done Magic Island but I didn't see too much there. I snorkeled Kakaako and didn't really see any depth

I'm interested in doing some of the east sites but the conditions are not good right now.

Can anyone provide any info on the following:
100' hole
Pearl Harbor Wall
Sunset Beach- I see a trench on satelite imagery but I'm looking for info on depth and what can be seen.

Is there any shore diving to be done at Maunalua bay? Looks like heavy boat traffic so I'm thinking no.

I've heard of folks diving off Portlock, but it is a pain to climb back out with gear.

Shore diving the south side is tough. The concentrated population has turned much of the nearshore water into lifeless silt and rock. The spots that are left (Portlock, Lanai Lookout) require giant strides from rocks into often treacherous conditions. Dives are often in a heavy current (in the case of Portlock, the current is usually much MUCH stronger than a bad day at the YO-257) and the exits are climbs up cliff faces. If you or your guided divers are anything short of highly seasoned, these are not dives that should be attempted. It is pretty common for the authorities to pull bodies from Portlock.

Two spots that might be doable by the general diving population are Blowhole and Hanauma Bay. Please try them first before taking friends there with any skill deficiencies. Hanauma Bay has some really pretty reefs inside. The underwater scenery at the bay's mouth is stunning, but big-time currents and conditions can kick up. Dive these areas carefully or you could easily find yourself swept away toward Molokai or worse, out to sea. Blowhole is a relatively easy shore-dive, but still more advanced than any of the sites you have tried.

To dive any of these sites (with the exception of inside Hanauma Bay) I would STRONGLY recommend you find a guide.

The other sites you mention:

100' hole-This site is definitely not accessible by shore. It is actually a rock located in 80' of water diamondhead and outside of the YO-257.

Pearl Harbor Wall-I've never seen a wall so much as a sloping ledge there. Aside from some old junk and a few flame wrasses, not a lot to see. Plus it isn't entirely legal to be diving that close to a military installation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom