In Hawaii October 25th to november 17th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zabbaskeema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there!

Upcoming trip to Hawaii :)

Three weeks: 1st week alone, second week with the girlfriend (she will do her OWD), third week visiting.

I land in Honolulu and stay in the Beachcomber for three nights to relax, then I am looking for the best diving possible for 4-5 day and cheap accomodation

I am N3/CMAS***/AOWD.

Second week will be in Maui, we need suggestions for her OWD (referral) in a place where Its also interesting for a confirmed diver (me!).

We also need cheap accomodation in Maui. Dorm, B&B etc...

All ideas welcome!!!

Patrick/Cath from Quebec/Canada

Check out Gabe at Kaimana Divers for the Oahu portion of your trip.

Define "cheap" - nothing on Maui really is...

There's some less inexpensive, smaller, older hotels on Maui that are around $100/nt. Lahaina Inn is one. You can book it on Expedia.com. It's a small place - maybe 12 rooms total so often it's booked in advance. It's downtown Lahaina so walking distance to restaurants, shops, Lahaina Divers or Extended Horizons for boat dives and Mala Wharf for shore diving. Otherwise you'll need a car - although some areas there's a local shuttle. Or you should be able to get a condo for around $100/nt. nearby also - try Lahaina Shores. You'll do better on a car rental if you pre-book it now instead of showing up and renting one. They're not "cheap" either.

Or there's condo rentals in the Kihei area starting around $100-125/nt. Kamaole Sands is one larger complex, Kihei Surfside is another. Across the road from the beach so more reasonable. The less of a view the cheaper also - no ocean view saves $$ sometimes. See if you can still find something available on vrbo.com - you're pretty late so a lot will be booked already thru Christmas. Everything waterfront is going to be quite a lot more.

Both are close to shorediving and the Kihei boat ramp where most of the Kihei based dive operators leave from. There's more nearby shorediving in the Kihei area than the Lahaina area also: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands Tanks can be rented from Maui Dive shop or Maui Dreams Dive Co. in that area. Check any of the recent posts in this thread for boat operators - they're all priced almost exactly the same. My top 3 are B&B Scuba, Ed Robinson's or Mike Severns.

There's a hostel in Wailuku but it's on the east side of Maui - not anywhere near the diving which is mostly done off the West or South Maui coast. So you'd have to drive over everyday to dive - it's about a 30min. drive to Kihei or 40mins. to Lahaina. And only about $20 cheaper. Banana Bungalow Maui Hostel

B&B's in South or West Maui are just under $100/nt. also: Maui Island Bed and Breakfast Inns

More than likely her OW referral dives will be off the beach somewhere nearby. Or maybe out to Molokini - one of the better dives off South Maui also.

Last edited:
I'll second Gabe for the operation to dive with on Oahu. He'll get you where you want to go with out breaking the bank. Just tell him what kind of diving you are looking for and he will make it happen. I have been diving Oahu since 1997, Gabe aan the Kaimana dive crew are the best I have found. Have fun!

On Maui, check with Ed Robinsons regarding his rental houses...right around $100 a night. He used to do a dive and stay thing, not sure that applies anymore though. For OW, Ed Robinsons does a good job...ask for Jeffrey, but if you can get Sam from Maui Dive Shop, she's an excellent choice!

Thanks a lot everyone! Its a little bit more complex than a trip to the Caribbean :)

I am still visiting the thread if you have more!

Pat

Besides Maui Dreams you might check with [user]Shaka Doug[/user] about doing the O/W referral dives. He might be able to put something together so you could dive the same site with someone else. If not I think he does them in the mornings so you could boat dive while she does - from Kihei most of the boats leave between 6-7am and are back by noon.

Thanks DiverSteve!

I am always up for some Open Water Referral action! And my condo is getting close to being ready for occupancy too! Just 100 steps to the ocean right across the street from the kings fishpond!!

Back
Top Bottom