D.T. Fleming beach for shore dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amitya78

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Staying at the Ritz Carlton Maui 2nd week in June. Would like to do a shore dive or two right there at DT Fleming. We are newly certified and will have a couple of freshwater lake dives under our belt before Maui. Is DT Fleming diving friendly or should we go somewhere else for shore diving? We are also planning on doing a dive at Molokini as well.

I haven't dove DT Fleming but it's exposure can lead to some unpredictable wave action during summer swell season. You should seriously consider hiring a local guide. It's a bit of a drive but worth it to cruise down south and dive the Makena/Wailea area. Five Caves/Turtle Town really is a must do shore dive if you ask me. With the proper guidance it is easy to do safely even if you are new to diving. Let me know if you need an update in conditions down south as I dive there almost every day. Mahalo!

I agree with Doug, I think the wave action at DT Flemming will be better for body boarding than diving. Go a bit south to Airport Beach or Olowalu, but I'd strongly recommend you hire a guide for the best experience. Hawaii diving is different than anywhere else in the world and a good guide can show you all of the hidden creatures that I guarantee you'd never know to look for on your own. They can also educate you about the indigenous fish that you can only see in Hawaii.

Thank you both for your responses. We are doing a guided dive (molokini) and we will look into hiring a guide for a shore dives elsewhere from DT Fleming. I really appreciate your guidance!

Back
Top Bottom